One day marathon...my ears are shot...

R

RAMI

I recorded this song from scratch starting at 10am this morning and just finished mixing it. I know it's a huge mistake to mix on the same day you track, and I tracked EVERYTHING, so my ears are shot. Just wanted to see if I could do it all in one day. This is a song I had already done on 8 track, but re-did it now that I have a 24 track (even though I only used 11 tracks for this).

So let me know how out of wack the levels or the eq'ing are because I can't hear a thing...I need another set of ears. Thanx.

IVORY TOWER

Very funky. Drums are good. Well, it's all good
I think that lead line in the left could be brought out. Bass is great too.
I got no complaints.
I really like the quotes. Adds alot.

PS. Dude, you STILL sound like Weird Al. :D :D

Exelent track man, very funky.
the guitars sound awsume, very clean and fat, the bass is also top notch.
The song is also very catchy "in a good way" :)

I also love your lyrics ; specially the word Rethuglican caught my eyes.
First I though it was an english word I had yet to hear, but when I heard ol` dubbya open his mouth I got it loud and clear.

your harmony singing also kicks ass.
very cool.

I dont know what more to say; other than the marathon paid of.

congrats on a great tune mate. :)

HAHA!!! Well, I gues I'm stuck sounding like weird al forever...I appreciate your comments, man. I'm glad it's not totally out of wack. To my ears, I thought maybe the drums were too loud.

On my system, the left side only has that "plucked" clean guitar. Is tha twhat you meant??? Or do you mean the dirtier guit should come up??? (which is on the right over here)

Thanx Nakatira..I guess you posted at the same time I was answering Prestomation...I'm glad everything sounds ok to you. I guess it's the combination of my ears being shot, AND the fact that I'm still used to the other version of this song, it just doesn't sound right to me yet...I hope I can hear it with fresh ears tomorrow. Thanx alot.

Yeah, i meant that clean riff on the left side. I used the word lead not because it was distorted, but becaused it was melodic and not rhythmic.

And sounding like Weird Al only makes you slightly harder to take seriously. :p

prestomation said:
Yeah, i meant that clean riff on the left side. I used the word lead not because it was distorted, but becaused it was melodic and not rhythmic.
Understood...thanx...I will bring that up. It is the main riff of the tune. Thnax.

And sounding like Weird Al only makes you slightly harder to take seriously. :p
Don't worry about it...the last thing I want is to be taken seriously...too much pressure comes with that shit.

Totally sweet. Great performances on all the instruments.

I heard this one before, it must have been the 8-track version.

I'm wondering: you did it in 11 tracks? I take it that you pre-mix the drums down to 2 tracks right off the bat? Sounds good. If that is the case, I imagine that you have gotten that down to a bit of a science. Still on this assumtion, now that you have 24 tracks, maybe you could spread the drums out more for more mixing options.

That dubbya sure says some whacked out shit sometimes. I've heard all those quotes before--pretty hilarious/sad.

Incanus...Thanx alot. Yes, if you heard this tune before, it was the 8 track version.

No I don't mix the drums down to 2 tracks. My tracks for this one are 4 drums, 1 bass, 2 guits, 2 lead vox, 2 bax. That's it.

RAMI said:
Incanus...Thanx alot. Yes, if you heard this tune before, it was the 8 track version.

No I don't mix the drums down to 2 tracks. My tracks for this one are 4 drums, 1 bass, 2 guits, 2 lead vox, 2 bax. That's it.

OK. Got it. I take it then that the 4 drum tracks are: snare separate, kick separate, stereo OH's w/wo close mic'd toms.

We're using Sonar and have, like, a million tracks. Our songs have so far run between about 25 tracks to 60 or so. Many of them are just one thing in one place of the song, though. Basically, it is a tool we use to make up for being such mediocre musicians.

What is the 24 track unit you're using? Is it some kind of stand-alone digital workstation?

Really I should listen to your song again. The mix didn't sound way out to me or anything. Little PC speakers are not great.

WOW ! That's alot of tracks. But you guys have alot of detail and vocal parts and it's much more involved, so I can see why your productions would need more tracks. And that's also why your procuctions are top notch.
I'm using a TASCAM 2488. It is a stand alone work station. You're correct about my drum micing. I do bring my Stereo mix into my PC and Master with a few things like the L1, etc...

That's excellent stuff, extremely tight and a great song, as far you thinking there's something wrong with the mix goes, the only thing I could think of listening to it was maybe the Right side of the stereo field sounded a bit louder than the left in some parts of the song, the only other thing that occured to me was that maybe that intro guitar riff could do with something going on underneath it like a chord ringing out or something. It's still waayy better than anything I've ever done though.

Well, RAMI, I listened to this with fresh ears. I can't say you improved this a lot, as the first version was pretty damn good. (compliment here) I can't even think of anything to add to this, as it really is a good recording/mix. You perform things well, and seem to capture the sounds very well. I'm sure there are always things that could be picked at, but almost every commercial recording has shit that someone can pick at, so what can I say???

I like it. The drums might be cool with a bit more ooommmph, but then they might be over the top. Vocals could have some nifty effects, but then the whole song would take on another complexion, and nothing might fit. Your sound is unique, and not overprocessed, and effects don't stand out. I really like this aspect, myself. It doesn't remind me of any pop crap I hear now, and that's a good thing.(compliment again... I know how some people read into things.....don't do it here. This is a simple message...)

Just so you know, your shit, along with many other tunes from the mixing clinic, are listened to very heavily, every day on my stereo. I am no expert, but know what I like. Your stuff, LPC, Tim Lawler.....many others, make great music, and it's all different. I really enjoy listening, and think there are many talented people here. (this is just a rant by the way...) Keep it up, and don't overdo anything.....meaning take the fun out of what you do. If you make $35 million selling your music, disregard everything I say, and buy me a beer.... :D

And as Ghost would say.....
Cheers.
Ed

Thanx alot to both of you. Mr. SONGWRITER, I'll keep your suggestions in mind, I'll especially consider not panning the guits so wide if one side sounded too muchg louder than the other.

Dog, you're the man, I always like your insight. Not because it's complimentary, but because it's also wise. The best compliment you gave me was that my effects aren't "noticeable"...That's the way I like it. I like a song to sound like it was recorded in the same room and I think since I know my music isn't exactly the most "today" stuff, I'd hate to make it sound really dated with Springsteen and Bryan Adams type cannon snares and over-chorused vocals and guitars a la Def Lepard. Nothing agaisnt those artists, they were a whole hell of a lot more succesful than me...But it's not what I'm going for.

Thanx dudes.

RAMI said:
HAHA!!! Well, I gues I'm stuck sounding like weird al forever...I appreciate your comments, man. I'm glad it's not totally out of wack. To my ears, I thought maybe the drums were too loud.

On my system, the left side only has that "plucked" clean guitar. Is tha twhat you meant??? Or do you mean the dirtier guit should come up??? (which is on the right over here)
I like wierd Al

You're just trying to make me jealous because you know how much I love you.

Just so you know, RAMI, I love Lo-Fi, Garage, whatever you want to call it. I don't mean shit, just stuff that is a bit less clean. Your music isn't "Lo-Fi" but it is very clean...meaning devoid of overprocessing. Not that I don't like some processing, but I do like to hear some stuff that is more natural also. Your music, if you could perform it live....(hard to do by yourself...) would sound very similar to what you have recorded. I have heard great sounding cd's, and then the live act sounds worse than a bar band with 3 drunk musicians and one mic.....(I've been in this band... :D ). I saw Tesla live several years back, and they were less polished than the cd, but still filled th sonic spectrum.....kicked ass. Your music lends itself to this. It could be reproduced live, and I dig it.

Nuff said.
Ed

It's not a bad thing that you sound like Weird Al, not bad at all.

I just can't resist laughing when i imagine Weird Al singing, simply because he's funny. :p

Back