Nuevo Zambra a la Tonio - percussion and guitar

eck- yeah the passage @0.50 is rather busy. I think that is the weakest point.

incanus, Llarion- I did have to listen to it a few times.While getting mic levels, I made a pass or 2 to get the general feel of each palo(passage) Funny thing is I usually write out the tune format when there is many changes, but for some reason I didn't on this one. I guess Latin tunes in general is up my alley so to speak, though am not a master at Flamenco. Flamenco has so many incarnations. Spent about an 1/2 hour tracking and just mixing took me about 2 hours. I used a Senn 421 on the back side(whole-like a kick drum) of the cajon and a Groove tubes GT44 in front for slaps. Amazingly I did not have to flip the phase on either track. Getting the proper balance bewteen those 2 tracks took the most time.
Thanks for the kind words.

But all in all having such a great guitarist like Tim makes it that much easier.
Tim- I am starting to agree with you about bringing up the perc volume, but your the highlight- main course.

T

Tonio said:
yeah the passage @0.50 is rather busy. I think that is the weakest point.
Ha, that’s one of my favorite parts. I like the way it suddenly gets very purposeful and locks in with the guitar.

I am starting to agree with you about bringing up the perc volume
The way I see it, because we don’t have the typical instrumental competition for space in the EQ spectrum I think a little higher percussion volume would just fill it out more without hiding the gtr.

It was interesting to hear about the mic’ing methods.

Tim

Fingers...nobody ever talks about fingers. This beautiful piece of music is very...fingery. How many fingers were in the recording chain ? :)

Actually what we need now is a hot flamenco chick or three to dance to it. Smooth and sultry, not the heel stamping stuff of the Bulerias, etc. Then we're ready to take it on the road.

true-eurt, do you speak Spanish?

Gary said:
How many fingers were in the recording chain
Thanks Gary... Dunno, but Tonio's hands must get pretty sore and swollen from whacking that wooden box, the cajon.

Tim

Wow this is awsome.
exelent track.
youre defenitly a talented gutar player, and your percusionist is doing a remarkable job as well.

some periods in song reminds me of the solo parts of The End by the Doors.
Infact your playing reminds me a bit of ray manzarek.

so congrats man on a great tune and preformance. :)

some periods in song reminds me of the solo parts of The End by the Doors.
Infact your playing reminds me a bit of ray manzarek.
Thanks Nakatira. I'm going to dig that up and have a listen.

your percusionist is doing a remarkable job
Agreed! We've discussed another collab, maybe bossa tune.

Tim

Great Track!!!

I am a big fan of this style of music but I own none of it. The level of talent here is far beyond my ability - so I speak only as a listener.

Tonio, I love what you have done here. There's a few spots where you and Tim aren't locking up but the only one that makes me really stop and take notice is at 1:13. It would be great to hear some malleted dark cymbals adding some darker complexity in a few places. Overall this is fantastic sounding, guys - really.

Thank you for posting this here.

Tim, what can I say? I love it. It's exotic and exiting and rich, while remaining mellow and articulate. The dynamics are spectacular and translate the mood of this piece beautifully. I especially like the way you elasticize time to convey urgency.... Something most folks in my "genre" strive to avoid like the plague. I try as a drummer to push and pull on the beat a little to do that but here you are letting your guitar tell a story.

As a side note, Tonio, I'm curious about your setup. Care to describe it?

Thanks again,

-Casey

Supercreep, come to think of it i relistened and yes that is the spot I'm banging head over ** not at :50. That transition is lacking on the bongos, I think the cajon was ok though.
My setup: Soundcraft SX and Grace 101 for pres(allthough I do have a 1202- its collecting dust LOL). Lexi MPX500, Alex, ART PRO VLA,RNC Rane PE15, MOTU 1224, 2408mkii, into DP(Digital Performer 4.5), UAD-1. MIC's:
Sen 421, e609black, 2xAudix D2,TR40, 2XSM81, EV408,Beyer 201, AKG 414ULS, C3000(eww but good for somethings)Grrove Tubes GT44.Event PS8;s.

PLease do not ask what instruments I have/use. There is too many to list :eek:
I usually mix ITB, but hybrid with stems out through the SX and back in. This tune I used 2 stems out and mixed in verb with the MPX500 (plate patch)for perc. Then added alittle UAD-1 Pultec Pro and Mw lim(DP stock ) for boosting the final track.

oh and we do need a dancer or three to round it off!! :D

Tonio said:
Supercreep, come to think of it i relistened and yes that is the spot I'm banging head over ** not at :50. That transition is lacking on the bongos, I think the cajon was ok though.
My setup: Soundcraft SX and Grace 101 for pres(allthough I do have a 1202- its collecting dust LOL). Lexi MPX500, Alex, ART PRO VLA,RNC Rane PE15, MOTU 1224, 2408mkii, into DP(Digital Performer 4.5), UAD-1. MIC's:
Sen 421, e609black, 2xAudix D2,TR40, 2XSM81, EV408,Beyer 201, AKG 414ULS, C3000(eww but good for somethings)Grrove Tubes GT44.Event PS8:D

/whistles/ nice!!

oh and we do need a dancer or three to round it off!!
And to Tonio's relief, LOL, taking it on the road with a mini-troup we'd do it in consistent tempo... which is actually the formal style for the zambra especially when danced. :D

apl, I'll check out the bossa rumble track when I get a bit of spare time. :)

I try as a drummer to push and pull on the beat a little to do that but here you are...
Thanks Casey... push/pull is exactly how I visualize it. I think it's always surprising the effect that small changes in tempo intensity can have - as long as they're felt by the performer.

Tim

Last edited:
Back