Now I Know That I'm Normal

Hi, talking about the recording: come on, i can hear when you press the Record button with the keyboard, that's very easy to remove. You should double the guitars and pan them, also add some drums and bass, maybe a synth.

The voice sounds very good, the guitar riff is a little loud for me.

Good luck

The guitar has a fair bit of Telecaster chicken clucking happening. - Did you want that?
If you plan to add bass & some more bottom end stuff you'll need to double the guitar & pan as suggested.
The voices are nice but very thin - where they EQ'd that way or that's how they recorded.You'll need to work on that if adding more to the arrangement/instrumentation.
The riff is ok, the melody and lyric are better still.
I still can't get passed the clucking.
The occassional hand clapping (is that what it is?) isn't terribly clear or effective as a result.
I think your structure is OK and the bones of the song are good.
The solo doesn't actually go anywhere.
This IS the MP3 MIXING clinic so folk listen for the whole package. You did state is was:
"...a song I've been working on for about a year now." Now you add,"It's just a demo".
You asked for:"Opinion/sugesstions (sic)/advice??"
zero00 was only trying to give you a) what you asked for & b) what you need to improve the track.

thanks for the feedback. Yeah, it's a demo of a song that I've been working on for about a year. This is the first time that I've ever recorded it.

How do I make my vocals less thin? Is there a way I can get rid of that clucking sound? So I'm gueesing that you mean that the solo doesn't fit in....

Do you think that the vocals are TOO present in the mix?

Thank you for the compliments on the song structure! :)

thanks for the feedback. Yeah, it's a demo of a song that I've been working on for about a year. This is the first time that I've ever recorded it.

How do I make my vocals less thin? Is there a way I can get rid of that clucking sound? So I'm gueesing that you mean that the solo doesn't fit in....

Do you think that the vocals are TOO present in the mix? I took the lead vocal and panned it Center. I did 2 separate takes of the backing vocals and panned each one Left and the other Right. As far as guitars:

Main rhythm--> Took 1 take a doubled it, panned one Left (25%), the other Right(25%)
End solo--> Took 1 take and doubled it, panned one Left (30%), the other Right (30%), turned the volume down
Backing vocals--> Did 2 separate takes, panned one Left (50%) and the other Right (50%)
Lead Vocals--> did 1 take, panned Center

*There's an extra guitar thrown in there that pops up at :15 seconds, again at :20 seconds, again at 27 seconds and whatever. I panned THAT guitar 25% Right.

Thank you for the compliments on the song structure! :) I hope you know that any extra help/ insight is VERY greatly appreciated since I'm new to this. I'm trying to get my music carrer off the ground I'm only 20 years old, but I figured you guys are veterans at home recording. You sound like you know what to doa do and that's awesome, believe me.

Hi, I understand that you recorded 1 guitar track (Main Rhythm) and then you copied the track and then panned? right? well, when i hear the track i think that's what you did...

To double the guitars you have to record the guitars twice, not one and copy it, or you wont get an open sound, ¿why? because the wave is the same, and they are destructing each other... so, when you record it 2 times, the wave is different, the sound is the same, but the wave isn't, so you'll get the cool sound that you can hear in almost every CD... What you did for the vocals, do it for the guitars... Same goes for the solo, only if you can play it exactly the same, or else use only one track and pan it to center with a little delay, that should do the trick.

If you must clone a track rather than double it you need to add something to it to make it slightly different so that it helps create the stereo image. try a TINY (really, really tiny) bit of delay applied 100% to the clone.
The chicken clucking is part of the telecaster sound - combination of the pickup selection & your playing style. You can play around with EQ to lessen that particular freq, throw some effect on it to disguise it or listen to your playing & adjust the p/up selection, amp settings & your strumming to lessen or remove it. It can be a very attractive sound in the right song - I dn't think it fits yours though.
Vocals - the 2 bvox need to be lifted a bit more and brought in a little closer (30%?).
the thinness of the main vocal - may be EQ conflict with the guitar. have a look at a freq analysis of the song then one of the guitar & another of the vocal. Where the freqs overlap between guitar & vocal you have to decide which one should keepp it all & which should be reduced somewhat. In your instance I'd reduced the cross over freq os the guitar's mid to low mids so that that aspect of the vocal can shine through.
IF, however, you've recorded the vocal thinly due to mic, mic pposition etc you may need to retrack or add some bottom end by VERY CAREFULLY using something like the BBE sonic maximiser (beware - dangerous tool - too easy to over do).

Well, I can hear more clarity than the previews one. I would use a compressor on the guitars. I'll add some bass/drums to the song, a little reverb and maybe a soft delay to the vocals. A chorus effect on the guitar riff would be nice.

Don't be shy on posting your music, no one is born knowing everything and being good at everything, everything comes with work and help... Of course the first time that i posted my music i was nervous too, that's normal, right now i post them with no problems, i like when people make comments about my music, bad or good. When someone give you a bad critic don't take it personal, it's just an opinion, and if you are new at this, take it to improve...

Good Luck!!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=469074485
I want people to hear it. I guess I'm just shy. Nobody's ever heard my music before. None of my friends or anything.:o

:mad:urgg.. where's the confidence!!!:confused: I have a question for you, why do you choose to create music? Is it for self healing purposes or the need to get a message across to the world? To have people feel what you feel? or all of thee above? Someone who creates music isn't a shy person, it's the lack of confidence I see in you(can't really see you but you get the point).

FRIENDS could be your best or worst critics, just for the simple fact that they don't really want to "Hurt" your feelings!:rolleyes: A true friend will give you honesty, especially if he/she feels your passion for music, and see's that you want to be great at it! So the criticism they give should be what you look for at first! Once you work on that, the guru's here on home recording dot com due a great job on directing you to a good path but it's up to you if you choose to follow.

In that matter, do extensive research on recording, mixing and mastering! You won't be disappointed on the knowledge you gain with simple reading and trial and error. Remember CONFIDENCE, really like what your doing, and do it to the best of your ability and the outcome is so much greater than intended. Keep up the good music and good luck-LV

Your vocals are buried under the guitar. Nice demo. Sounds like a 1992 grunge song. There's no need for me to comment about political figures here.

Getting there!
What did you do?
The vox are still a bit thin but they work well enough with the guitar filling in the freqs. Just a little more vocal vol needed.
It's time to get someone in to do bass, some 'cello and (hopefully you used a click tracks so you can also get ) a drummer or drum prog.

I'm jsut trying to be supportive and positive. Do you really want me to go to town?

I'm jsut trying to be supportive and positive. Do you really want me to go to town?

Yep, go to town. Honestly, I really really appreciate you being kind and supportive, but what I need you to do is be straight-forward. GO TO TOWN! lol No, but really, go to town on me. I won't be offended because I'm just tough-skinned that way.

Back