nick drake- place to be...my sparse acoustic and vocal

rol123

Wanted to make it kind of 'raw' sounding, intimate, yet listenable.

The guitar sounds over-equed to me, but I'm having a tough time gettting a nice acoustic sound in my noisy apartment so the mic is up close to the guitar, and I'v tried to remove some of the 'artifacts'. might work with this song..I don't know.

Mic used is a Lauten audio clarion, so its not bright. I really like it a lot. Ptr is Art Pro MPA 2 with NOS tube.

View attachment place to be .mp3

Let me know whqt you think..
Thanks

Nick Drake covers are especially difficult to pull off with any kind of authority; the subtleties of all those different tunings and flawless performance, but I think you did a good job. Many years ago, someone else came to this site with the same cover and that turned me on to Nick Drake.

I think the magic for a song like this is in the tracking (and performance) stages. One thing I can suggest is to try mid-side recording on the acoustic. You'll get a fuller sound and a bit of a stereo spread. It will take a lot of experimenting with mic positions, but I think you'll be happy with the results. You'll need a figure-8 mic and an cardioid mic.

Thanks for sharing.

I really like the recording of your voice, the acoustic guitar less so. The overtones and harmonics are lacking some "life" for want of a better word. I would like richer bass tones with more liveliness in the bass strings. Perhaps you need a new set? I don't have any quibbles about the performance, you're a decent player and singer. :)

thanks..much appreciated.
Its the eq'ing of the guitar: rolling off the top end to get rid of some nasty sounds and cutting out squeaks and finger noise that seems to e making the guitar sound boxy and lifeless (I think).

I am thinking a ribbon might be better for recording my acoustic. I've never gotten even close to the acoustic sound I want with LDC's or SDC's to date.

Thanks again for the comment :guitar:

I'm not a fan of Nick Drake at all but I'd like to bet that the original guitar track you captured, before you EQ'd it, sounds better than what you've posted here. The performance is OK (but for a few spots) but the sound, not so good. Vocals are very nice.

Strip all the plugins bullshit away from it and post it up again. :thumbs up:

Back