New track (light rock), commercial? :-)

bendbones

Hey guys,

Was wondering if you could lend us your ears and listen to a mix of this new song. Please be as critical as possible.

It was recorded in its entirety using Ardour 0.99 under GNU-Demudi Music Distribution (Linux).

Cheers :-)

Ok...

It was suggested to me in another list that I should put a pavement pill up my arse if I want to go commercial with the song... Whatever that means, it sure sounds painful...

So... Please disr-egard any mention of the word commercial as it has been used anywhere...in this thread...

Cheers dudes! :-)

This actually sounds pretty good. Recording quality-wise is really good. Song itself, the music, is pretty good also. The lyrics, well I didn't really understand all those but sound good enough. :)

I don't have any suggestions that I'd make it. Sound a lot like CDs that I hear. But as we all know there is always room for improvement. Where that room is, somebody more knowledgeable will have to say. :)

First listen.

I'm hearing some timing problems here and there (e.g. 0:44 or so). Seems to stabiliize as the song unfolds.

Second listen now.

The opening is very strong. The vocal is a bit too laid-back for my taste. Sounds like you're on the verge of dropping off to sleep. (Maybe that's what you want.) I think you'd benefit from a better microphone and/or preamp. Is that a 57?

Yeah, I'd say it has some commercial potential. I think it gets a bit monotonous. It could use a little more spice here and there. The drums could definitely stand to be more agressive.

Overall a very nice job.

Don

P.S.: I use the CVS snapshot with RH9/Planet CCRMA ;)

The guitars are pretty far back in the mix. I would bring them up front more. The vocals could use a lot of work. Both the singing and the recording.

Ok...Cool...

Thanks for the comments guys...All very much appreciated. Other people have said that I should either make the snare sound lighter to fit with the fairly soft vocals and guitars or keep the snare and make the vocal and guitars more beefy somehow...

The vocals were recorded using a Shure BG1.1 dynamic mic (cost me about £35 six or so years ago).... I'm a student so can't afford too much...

I'l try another take on the vocals though and see what happens...

Cheers :-)

i love the mood of the song. nice and soft, nice and clear.
i know it's not much to do with mixing, but i think there could be a bit more balls in the chorus, to distinguish it a bit more from the main verses. apart from the register you sing in, it actually takes a step back in terms of strength, and as a result the song doesnt seem to go anywhere. the music doesnt gain any pace, and the vocal actually appears to get softer. if i was working on this personally, i'd go two ways with the chorus:

1) grit up the vocals, and bring the instruments up to bring out the chorus
2) leave the chorus vocals as they are, but strip out the instruments down to maybe just one strumming guitar (almost like a half-time break).

and maybe in both cases, putting down a bit of a harmony would work?

i dont know. it's just that as i was listening to the first verse, i was kinda thinking where i'd like the song to go, but it didnt.

nice work tho. in terms of the mix, i couldnt personally take a dig at the mix as like i said before, it's clear and crisp. just bring out the chorus.

cheers

Mark

This is a really good song. Great turnaround into the chorus with that simple drum break and the tremolo guitar. Genius. The fake drums are only holding you back a little.

The organ sound is too synthy and dosen't have the organic feel that a b3 would have -check out Native Instruments B4 and you'll be impressed. But it's not a show-stopper, just a minor dissapointment to my ears.

The harmony vocal at 2:11 is well concieved and works. The song is so gentle that I would want to try to double up that background harmony being careful to keep it mellow, wash it in reverb, and then remove most of the dry signal leaving mostly just the haunting "ghost" singer. It can be even more effective if you or a female singer can do it an octave higher.

The middle section is nice but not the crescendo I was waiting for- I was expecting to get the poignant passionate kernel of the song, but it's not as strong melodically as the verse.

Nice job. Please keep this stuff coming.

This is a very nice song, liked it a lot! I wouldn't change guitars, vocals or the organ. They sound just fine!

Nice work -- good laid back tune ...

My comments would generally reflect the same thoughts as Supercreep's, so there's not much use saying it twice.

I would emphasize a little more urgency/emoting etc... in the bridge ... it's an area that needs that pressing emotional lift to it, and the restrained vocal delivery during that period just doesn't feel still appropriate.

Good start here, though.

Kev

Cool, smooth rocker. I agree with Casey on the vocals. If you could double up on the BG vocals, it might really fit a tune like this. I personally like the rougher sound of the main vocals, as it gives this tune a slightly different feel. I think someone else already mentioned to maybe bring the guitars up just a little. This might sound really nice also.
Nice tune, overall. Well done.

Hey cheers for the comment dude. I have since done a newer mix. Get it at:

Perhaps I got a little carried away with the hi-end eq though? Vocals also seem a bit loud now.

Cheers Ed

Ben.

Song has a lot of "air" in it now. I won't say the vocals are too loud, but they seem to have more high end to them. I think you are closer on the mix as far as the music goes, and maybe just need to work on teh vocals. Maybe eq a liitle of the hi off them, and then you will probably have to boost the volume of them a little. They don't seem too loud though. It's a much brighter mix.
Ed

Back