new demo-- "the Travel Song"

GONZO-X

http://tinyurl.com/ybpvzz

it's a demo i'm working on.

it's rather raw.... ;)
it's a one pass everything...

decided to keep it real simple, it's got one guitar track, one bass track, a acid drum track, and a lead vox with 2 harmony vox tracks.

with this new bass, i decided to try to bombast the track with bass.
too much?

i'm also on the fence about re-tracking everything, with multi tracked guitar parts, lots of individual parts instead of a simple straightfoward rhythm, like it has now.
i hear it both ways.....

falcon eddie (mastering engineer) took a pass at messin' with the mp3 mix i did..
you can find it here:

I just listened to your mix.

Man, this has a Crosby Stills Nash and Young feel to it...the cymbals need to come up in the mix.

Guitars are a bit out there eating up the vox and the bass and drums.

This is a kick butt tune and the performances are excellent !!! :cool:

Falcon Eddie brought the drums and cymbals up a bit in the intro it seems, but the guitars are still too out front and still eat up your vox. Right after the instrumental intro, the guitar gets louder and the guitar panned left is so loud from everything else it distracts and almost annoys me...and I love axes to be showcased, but this keeps the mix in an uneven state to where the drums, bass and vox seem to have been recorded and mixed togather at the same levels and the guitar at a different level. Put togather, but not married. Sorry for my way of describing what I hear. Hope you understand what I meant.

The song is excellent, and the performance of the song is too :cool: ....just needs a bit of tweaking still on the mix.

true-eurt!

wow, thanks for listening!
you're the only one, man, i owe you..

the drums were programmed in acid, and there's no way to control individual pieces, with this version of acid.

after listening to the mix, i have to say i would disagree with the cymbal volume...
maybe the whole kit could come up a bit, and then the cymbals would just be there a bit more, but, especially in the headphones, the levels where the cymbals are currently sitting, really fill out the background without being 'sizzle-ly', which was my intent...
the drums, are kinda mixed in a 'big room' way, and if i could have miced a real kit for this sound, woulda probably popped a compressor over the overheads anyway, pretty aggressively, to get the cymbals to sit flatter in the mix, dynamics wise....

i'm going back, with your comments in mind, and re-eq'ing, and re-panning and leveling this mix...

i'm going to re-record the bass part, because i think i can get a much better performance, and a better mix up front, without having to worry about tweaking it in the mastering side just to accomodate....
it is just a demo, after all, but i like the idea of practicing on things like this, to try to learn more about mixing in general.

Falcon Eddie, pretty much knows what he's doing.
he mastered the "Trouble" cd, and really worked wonders with some really intensive and busy mixes....
as far as the guitar mix goes, i set it, and forgot it!
i didn't move any faders throughout the entire mix, except the vox faders, which i ride constantly...
but i appreciate you explaining what you were hearing... makes perfect sense.

i guess my experiment with the panned guitar part (and a little reverb and a short 15ms slapback was panned hard right for some sonic balance) didn't quite work...
i was somewhat basing it on the old van halen style mix, but without 579% plate reverb.....!
:D

No mixing nit's from me,(monitors are somewhere else) but this sounds great on the pc speakers. Has a big *YES* vibe to it, for me, that is. Loved the guitars and vocals! Another fine one, GONZO! Thanks.. :)

I listened on headphones, and didn't make all the way through (lunch over--damn). Great song. Great sounds all around.

To my ears, the guits are a just a little too loud, and the vox just a tad too quiet. Very nice, though. I can hear what Freshears said about 'Yes'. It's the vocals mostly I think.

Good work, mate!!!

Cool tune...I like the vocals and the guitar tones...and the drums don't sound bad they just seem a tiny tiny bit far back in the mix...and the toms sound a tad boxy. Overall sounds excelent though...good work!

That guitar is carrying a huge load in this song - reminds me of Rush or Triumph. I do prefer your vocals as they do have that "Yes" vibe previously mentioned - very nice.

If you retrack then you will come out with a different/bigger mix. I would save this one in any case. It's super for 3 piece + vocals. Maybe make this version 2 on your album if you retrack.

I think the bass you are playing fits well considering the limited instruments. You could even get busier if you so desired....

Bass and guitar are good levels, not sure if the drums need to come up - maybe.

Vocals were a tad low for my taste, I like them right out there in front. Where they are now blends nicely so I should mention that is a personal preference...

As always your playing and singing are top notch....

:) :D :) :D

freshears

thanks for checking it out....
a new bass track, and a remix of the whole thing, is on the way...

Incanus :
the gits are definitely taking center stage!
LOL
i'm going to fix that...
this being a demo, i kinda just ran thru the mix, so now, that i've had time to chew on it, pretty much agree with almost everyone's opinions on the mix changes.......
thanks for the help.

jamesduysen
i think when i remix the drums, bringing them up, and tweaking the high mids on the kit, might help that tom issue...
but all i have on the drums, is a stereo mix, so it's all or nothing on tweaking them...
thanks for listening....

ido1957:
Triumph, now there's a name you don't hear every day..
and you're right.. as a 3 piece, those guys covered a lot of sonic ground.
and i may try a slightly busier bass part, because i hear an opportunity for some harmonization from the bass part...

FE did a great mastering job, working with a mp3 even...
he can focus on the frequencies that are wrong (my bass) and the ones that need a little bit of sweetening..... (gtr and vox)--so check out the 2nd link if you can... it sounds much better than my own mix....

i could do the same thing, if i knew what i was doing.
LOL
:D

i'm re-recording the bass now....
instead of using the sansamp bass di, i'm using my boogie guitar head, and using the SLAVE OUT to go into my ART DPS preamp....
i'm using the barber Tone Press guitar comp, to run the bass thru, for a mild effect, and running out of the ART DPS thru my dbx mc-6 comp to do another mild compression on the bass...

to my ears, this sounds much more distinct than the bass di.
but, i still have to find the 'low end', get it dialed in, so i don't have to try to find it while mixing down.

i'll post this newer version soon.
i'll also take everyone's total input, on re-thinking the MIX....
i've panned the guitar even more to the left, but added in a short delay and hard panned it to the right, and brough it up to almost match the level of the guitar in the left, so it sounds more balanced....
i've tweaked the drum levels and vocal levels and effects....
i mixed it last night, but the bass performance wasn't good enough, so i'll use the next tracking session as an experiment on the bass tone thru the boogie head....
so many options, i've decided the character of the bass just sounds better thru a real tube head, even if the signal is a slave out.
already an improvement over the sansamp.

Back