new alternative tune - On The Way

andrushkiwt

hey guys, some feedback please, if you can

I had some trouble keeping the loud guitars heavy enough. too little bass and low-mid cuts and it's muddy, too much and it's too thin. during the outro, there are 10 total guitar tracks going so there were a lot of cuts that needed to be made in the low-mids. that stuff really piled on.

hopefully, the bass and kick sound a bit better on this track than the last. looking forward to the good and the bad, thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt/on-the-way

Good song overall.

There's a bit of a timing disconnect during the mellower sections.
You may want to lose like 6 of those 10 guitar tracks...I mean, I think you are "over-mushing" the sound with all those guitar tracks, and I think that you would get a cleaner/tighter mix if you kept it less cluttered...and then you would be able to bring up the remaining guitars, making them sound more ballsy.

Good song overall.

There's a bit of a timing disconnect during the mellower sections.
You may want to lose like 6 of those 10 guitar tracks...I mean, I think you are "over-mushing" the sound with all those guitar tracks, and I think that you would get a cleaner/tighter mix if you kept it less cluttered...and then you would be able to bring up the remaining guitars, making them sound more ballsy.

on the timing...the guitars actually playing the rhythm are purposefully a bit sloppy and non-chalant. i wanted that for the feel of the verses. kind of how they come apart completely at the very end. then, there are guitars are providing feedback via me knocking hard on the back of the fretboard. these may have some hits that are off beat, but it was rather difficult and for the first time i can say i literally poured blood into my work. hah, my knuckles were a bit bloody after doing that for 30 minutes. either way, i'm satisfied with the timing of the guitars.

i agree with using less guitars, and the final two sets were last minute additions. i just wasn't satisfied with how the 3 pair were sounding, no matter how i EQ'd them. do the guitars being more on the thin side make it unlistenable?

Really cool song, I get distracted by the timing issues though. I say if you have to lose a few listeners for your vision go for it, but it kind of is hard to listen to.

Maybe a compromise (if you want one) would be to save the effect for the end, just as things start to fall apart?

Really like the vocals, you got the sound just right for this style in my opinion.

Really cool song, I get distracted by the timing issues though. I say if you have to lose a few listeners for your vision go for it, but it kind of is hard to listen to.

really? i'm kind of shocked here. haven't you guys ever heard the Pixies play?! haha. more seriously, is it the rhythm guitar playing the chords in the verse, or is it the guitar with the ambient feedback noise?

Yeah on second listen, it just sounds like the render was maybe out of synch. Like listen to the snare hits in the beginning, they don't correspond with the rhythm guitar. I think it's just a latency issue is all, did you happen to listen to the SoundCloud upload? Maybe you're only listening in the DAW and it doesn't have an issue there?

It sounds like the drummer is really far ahead or behind on the intro and first verse, I hope you can hear what I mean if you listen to the SC link.

I have only listened to the mp3 that was made from the mastering session. I'll check the SC file in two minutes. Though it's the same file.

Ok, there may be nothing wrong with it, just my ears, but something about it. . .

Sorry, didn't mean to pick too much, just wanted to make sure there weren't any technical issues. :thumbs up:

No technical issue. Its the guitar that is providing feedback from knocking on the fret board. I picked up the pace on the knocking as the verse was coming to an end. It was literally causing my hand to bleed...so I just wanted to finish it up already. The guitars that are actually playing (strumming) are in time enough. Bass is purposely a bit sloppy.

Again, the very end summarizes the feel of the tune. I don't mind the five seconds of increased noise, but thanks for letting me know it's not pleasing to you guys

Yeah we're honest lol which is why you can believe me when I say your other songs are always excellent in my ears so I assumed there was just something off with this one.

Back