My turn...new song...Prey For Love

Hi Clay

Cool track! I like the whole misty vibe - got a real good feel going on there. Sort of reminded me of the Elvis Costello good stuff - catchy vocal hook, "Oooh girl.....", and good feel.

As these things are totally subjective, take the following with a grain of salt - (or... I am a control freak and this is how I would hijack your mix :) )

- Less chorus on the gtr - just personal pref. I guess.
- Liked the flutes a lot, can you play with the modulation or change the colour to add a little more "depth"?
- Voice - on my speakers sounded like maybe you had chopped a little too much mid or squashed in a compressor quite flat. Might just be the .MP3 conversion.
- "Ooh girl" harmony hook is a killer, I can hear it on the radio now
- "You know I can't resist your alluring ways" sounded like a mouthful, maybe drop the "You know"
- Maybe pan the synth horns to the right in instrumental section
- Maybe in the last "Ooh girl" bit, have the 2nd vox. rise against the first vocal part just to add urgency and a sense of climax.

Good job, liked it a lot!

Ciao,

Q.

very exotic sounding.

is it a modal thing?

i like the flute too and can see the elvis thing!

nifty!

:)

Clay, your harmonies are killer and set up the hook very well.
You've written another winner, my friend.
Mix sounds pretty good to my ears, highlights your very fine voice and lyrics, and I dig the instumentation. Cool pun in the title, too.
Keep 'em comin'!

Mark

just some mixing comments...

You can hear someone "adjusting" in a chair, or something, at the very beginning, just before the music starts... you might wanna just chop that off. I think it's in the vocal track because you can also hear you breathing (in, through your nose) while the intro is playing. (0:22, right before you start singing.) I would suggest soloing the vocal track and cutting out any part of the wav form where you aren't actually singing, just to get rid of all the stray breaths and other random noises that we all generate when recording a vocal track.. :D

There's also some serious sibilance going on with the vocals... More than just once. It may be a result of the major compression that you put on the vocals.. I'm not really sure.. but taking some of those highs out will take care of that, and might also help alleviate that "over-compressed" sound the vocals had.

It was a good song and the mix sounded pretty well-rounded, but the highs tended to grate on me.. not just the vocals.. the cymbals as well and somethin' else. It wasn't everything.. the flute was fine.. the synths weren't to overbearing or anything.. there were just a few things that were too "harsh".

P.S.... LOL.. "Prey for Love"... nice play on words.. at first I thought maybe you were in a hurry when you posted and just spelled it wrong... :p

WATYF

Hey Clay,

Vocals sound real nice. Well written and arranged tune. The chorus is very infectious:)

I thought the low strings got out of hand at times in a low end boomy sort of way. Could just be my end....

Great writing!

Peace,

Theron.

You write some of the coolest tunes Clay.Your voice is so unique....Oh yeah,this is cool....really dig the harmonies.You already have some mix critiques so I wont repeat what they've said.:)....Id like to hear the harmonies come up some since they sound so good.....a little sibilance every now and then but not bad.This is cool Clay.Im just waiting for you to post enough songs for me to burn a CD.;)

Couldn't stream hi fi,only lo?

Sounds really good.
Nice vocals.
The only thing I heard was,seems like to much effect on the guitar.IMHO

Good writing.

Best to you,
Pete

muzeman said:
Couldn't stream hi fi,only lo?

Sounds really good.
Nice vocals.
The only thing I heard was,seems like to much effect on the guitar.IMHO

Good writing.

Best to you,
Pete

I forgot to mention that I had the same problem.I just downloaded it like I do the rest of Clays stuff.;)

I really like this. You have a great vocal style and I like the background vocals on there.

I like the arrangement you have on this. Some of the low notes were a bit hot, but you may be able to eq some of that out possibly -- imhop --

This tune has a kind of 60's quality (I'm thinking Moody Blues) to it.

Very nice job!

You're "Punny"

Hey Clay. This is the first song I've heard of yours. I'll listen to more now.

The song's nothing like it, but I kept being reminded of Triumph's "Lay It On The Line." I think it's your voice, and the harmonies...and actually, the flute-line a little. But I digress.

Anyway, great stuff.

write lots,
-chris

I didn't read the other comments yet..

This is a very cool song.. The only thing that bothered me was it seemed a bit on the crisp side at times, but maybe it's just the vocals and the drums.. the vocals seemed a bit sibilant at times.. I know the mp3 isn't helping either..

I really like the tune.. nice little keyboard additives. The guitar and keys sound good.. nice vocal performance.

Cool tune. Nice harmony. The vocal is a little sibilant. Also there's something going on with the vocal. I'm not sure if it's an artifact from the MP3 encoding or what but I hear a peculiar phasing thing going on.

Everone's already commented on the mix and the bright, etchy sound so I won't repeat all that. But the song itself is very good. Nice lyrics, good harmonies. The structure is right-on. I didn't care for all the synth parts muddying things up in the background. I'd like to hear it a bit more guitar oriented. Very good song.

...there is a hollow, phasing sound on the vocals. The flute almost seems borderline out of tune to me too. ..and the synth stuff would better in stereo rather than panned so hard, imo. Very nice catchy tune...a major plus and more so than many tunes around here...at least to me. I find that their are some "strange" items on the mix...probably attributed to a lot of direct in recorded instruments, as there seem to be 'holes' in the mix, EQ wise with attention needed to fill these spaces to even things out. It sounds like the mix might have been 'mastered' with one of the home brew favorites, and some misadjustements happened with the EQ and compression and got things a little wacky, mix wise.

ps..I had to d/l too. no hifi streaming at nowhere either....it was a short video format that occured when trying.

A pro recording of this would make this a serious contender for a Billboard hit, in my book....(not that it has to be steller, recording wise to be a hit.....but this quality brings it to your attention that there are flaws.)

Thanks everyone for your comments. My stuff seems to be consistently eq'd poorly. I hear from most of you that my vocals are heavy on the highs. I think I need to spend more time mastering my songs. It just seems I'm on a role to write and don't want to take a break yet. But I'm printing all the comments and will work on them. Do any of you think my vocals are too loud? Thanks again.

clay said:
It just seems I'm on a role to write and don't want to take a break yet. But I'm printing all the comments and will work on them.

Stay on that Roll Clay.There is always time for recording/mixing but a creative flood doesnt last forever!

boydrj - What does imhop mean? I'm assuming it has the same meaning as someone else's IMHP. Thanks.

Back