My new song

I think that there's too much compression on either a couple of tracks or the master bus in the intro, there's a lot of hiss/noise that's being accentuated.

Once the band kicks in, I like the vibe. Sounds reminiscent of Spirtualized to me (I just had to seek out "Hey Jane" from Sweet Heart Sweet Light). It's a good post-punk song you've got going here.

I think that the drums need to come up all around. More kick, more snare, more overheads. The bass guitar needs to come up as well, fill out that low end.

I'd take another few passes at the vocals. I like what you're shooting for, but there are some slurs (both pitch-wise and enunciation-wise) that could use another attempt. Don't be shy man, you've got a good thing started here!

Do you have a chorus effect on the acoustic at the start? If so, I'd take it down a notch, because it ends up sounding like a 2 guitars, one out of tune (if it's two guitars, then one IS out of tune!)
Once the band comes in: bass needs some volume, as do the snare and hi-hat/cymbals. You could definitely re-do the 'la-la-la' vocal parts, sound a litle drunken. :p

Last edited:
yea, check that chorus effect. If it is the type that you have to set the key, you may need to adjust it. You do have this slammed on compression.

Sounds like it is a good song, just gets a little flat and has no life to it due to over compression.

If you make any changes, re-post, would like to hear it with some depth.

Thanks for the in put.

All the guitars were tracked through the Eleven Rack, so the effects were printed to "tape". So there is a lot of chorus on the acoustics, (12 & 6 string). I'll re record, dry.

The drums are loops, trying to entice a real drummer to come over and lay some rhythm down.

I'll work on the bass, needs automation to keep steady.

I'm not a singer, never claimed or wanted to sing. When I was gigging, the band turned my mic off because I'm a horrible singer. But I'll work on it. And re-track the vocals.

The noise is the SM7b w/cloud lift, noisy thing. Running in to Pro VLA 2 threshold half way between -6 & -30, ratio about 3:1, output level +10, attack all the way down, .25ms and release .15ms.
Then in to the MPA Gold, Input & Output @ 3 o'clock, input impedance @ about 500 ohms. Vice a versa, the mic pre then the compressor.

I'll adjust the setting to try and get the noise level down when I re track vox.

Definitely a lot of hush going on around the vocals.
There was a lot of crackling from clipping. You can really just look at the waveform. It's a sausage.

The backing music was really far back in comparison to the vocal, especially the drums.

I'd say turn down the gain on all the tracks and make a reasonably dynamic mix and then make it loud later.

Okay, here's the latest mix with some re-tracked guitars, bass and real drums. (I got a drummer to come over.)

Let the honesty begin. Thanks.

Hi-hat is really harsh, snare is trebly with no power and the kick is buried. Bass (if there is one) can't be heard.

I agree with mjbphotos.

There is very little low end to the song.

I thought the flangy/chorusy effects on the vocals were too much. It's difficult to make a lot of them out. Seemed like some pitchiness as well.

The rhythm guitar on the left is heavier than the riff-playing guitar on the right. So it makes the mix lean towards the left for much of the song.

Okay, I agree, total shit. Wasn't sure, sitting at the desk for hours......any way back to the beginning, sort of. Here's a stripped down version. Drums, I worked on the snare and bass. Bass gtr, and rhythm and lead guitars. I think I have the guitars evened out a bit and the kik and bass working together and the snare can be heard. I got rid of that gay synth. I'll re-track the vox, didn't care for the performance. Pitchy and phrasing was kind of sucky..... It sounds not so lop sided on my monitors.....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yq7wzy9h6no3ocu/Kiss%20The%20Rain%205-9-15.wav?dl=0

And I really appreciate the input. Thanks.

The crash on the left side could be EQed a bit, when the drummer is hitting it constantly it gets harsh. Kick and bass could come up a bit more in volume, but everything is better overall. Vocals are a little low :laughings: (obviously you muted them!)

Agreed, there is a ton of compression pumping happening somewhere. Could be the master bus, or could be the drum bus. Actually, looking at the waveform on the SoundCloud widget in your post says a lot about the dynamics of the song...it's squashed all to hell. Back off on the compression and/or limiting on the master bus and let it breathe.

The snare sounds way way too choked as well, I'd rethink the compression settings on the drums overall. Once you let the drum kit breathe, it'll be easier to balance the kit. I think that the hihat is too loud relative to the rest of the kit, but the compression makes it too hard to tell for sure.

The guitar tone is terrific, nice and chunky. Still has good definition even with a high gain tone like that.

I like the Sabbath-like 12/8 kind of feel that it settles into later on. I'd like to hear some vocals on top of this.

Basically, I would ditch any and all compression happening in the mix. Get it balanced like you like it, and only compress individual things if you feel like they're dynamically out of control, or if you want a colorful squish on something in particular. Then start cranking up the volume into a master limiter and stop before it gets to this level of extreme compression.

There is something off sonically about the whole mix. It very well could be that it is over compressed and over effected. A lot of it sounds close to being centered verses spread through the stereo field. Like tadpui stated, take all effects and compressors off and start from scratch. The drums seem to be whats holding you back, whether it because they were poorly recorded or because they have too much compression on them.

Nuff said about the mix. You'll get it! Really like the song, though. Missed the vocals, but the guitar/drums play nice together. Keep after it, I think it's a keeper. :)

Sorry, with my almost dial up speeds and limited G allowance I'm not likely to down load 40+ meg unless I know you well.

Back