Master of Puppets (vocals by Sam)

BUMP

............:D and if this gets near the bottom of the page again............ I'll be back!

g

Good job

Music is excellent, vocals are a good attempt, but aren't doing it for me. Tight execution,drum machine takes away from the tune a bit, although it was programmed ALMOST...perfectly. Mellow section was great. Did yoiu play the harmony parts alot lower than the original...whatever it still sounds good. I am reposting my M.O.P. tonight...let me know what you think. Nice Job

Ok, after a couple of listens, here's my honest opinion.

The vocals are outstanding. Really. Well recorded, well executed, and amazing conviction. Nice choice of reverb, as it's very subtle.

And now for the part you're not going to like:

The rhythm guitars are cheese. Sorry dude, but they just scream "solid state cheapo." They're so mid-scooped, they lack any kind of girth. My suggestion would be to get your hands on a great amp. Think Mesa, VHT, or Marshall.... beg, borrow or steal. Also, the mic pres probably weren't helping either. I'm guessing Mackie or Berhinger. (I could be wrong here, for all I know it could be a POD! Correct me if I'm wrong)
Try to get at least one great pre to record through. There's a number of great pre's available for under a $1k U.S. The FMR RNP, the VMP-2, Grace 101, or a used Sytek.
The guitars WERE well played, however. Master of Puppets is a bitch to play, so nice job on the riffs. Unfortunatley they come across as well played guitars with tin can speakers.
The bass cuts nice, but there is no top end to it, and there doesn't seem to be a bottom octave, either. Very Mid-Rangey.

And now, my biggest complaint: The drums. Drum machines and thrash metal just plain don't work. They're well programmed, but let's face it. The snare has no life. Human players create idiosyncracies that breathe life into a track. The kick needs more snap, but it does have a nice low end. They cymbals are one-dimensional (again they need that human 'imperfection') and the toms sound like a mixture of cardboard boxes with garbage can lids for skins. Couldn't you have picked a better sample for them? Also, I noticed a serious volume drop in the tom fills as they panned across the stereo field. They were loud at either end, but as they came across the middle, they just died. Could be a phase issue. Toms in this kind of music have to be cannons. They need to accentuate. This just wasn't happening here.

Overall, it's a great mix. Everything is right where it should be, and it gels into a cohesive mass. Just work on that guitar sound and get a real drummer!

-0z-

OzNimbus said:
Ok, after a couple of listens, here's my honest opinion.

The vocals are outstanding. Really. Well recorded, well executed, and amazing conviction. Nice choice of reverb, as it's very subtle.

I know :D (it's all Sam)

And now for the part you're not going to like:

The rhythm guitars are cheese. Sorry dude, but they just scream "solid state cheapo." They're so mid-scooped, they lack any kind of girth. My suggestion would be to get your hands on a great amp. Think Mesa, VHT, or Marshall.... beg, borrow or steal. Also, the mic pres probably weren't helping either. I'm guessing Mackie or Berhinger. (I could be wrong here, for all I know it could be a POD! Correct me if I'm wrong)
Try to get at least one great pre to record through. There's a number of great pre's available for under a $1k U.S. The FMR RNP, the VMP-2, Grace 101, or a used Sytek.

The guitar is played thru a Zoom505-II effect pedal (which is horrible), then processed with Revalver Guitar Amp Simulator plug-in in windows. I'm always trying to get a better sound, and my tastes differ daily. This was my attempt at an Opeth-like distortion (like on Deliverance). I've been listening to a lots of it, so maybe that's it.

The guitars WERE well played, however. Master of Puppets is a bitch to play, so nice job on the riffs. Unfortunatley they come across as well played guitars with tin can speakers.

Thanks. I don't deserve the "good playing" thing, since there's lots of cut / paste work.

The bass cuts nice, but there is no top end to it, and there doesn't seem to be a bottom octave, either. Very Mid-Rangey.

Sometimes my bass mix works, sometimes not. It's usually the last thing I try to fit in somewhere. Not always, though.

And now, my biggest complaint: The drums. Drum machines and thrash metal just plain don't work. They're well programmed, but let's face it. The snare has no life. Human players create idiosyncracies that breathe life into a track. The kick needs more snap, but it does have a nice low end. They cymbals are one-dimensional (again they need that human 'imperfection') and the toms sound like a mixture of cardboard boxes with garbage can lids for skins. Couldn't you have picked a better sample for them? Also, I noticed a serious volume drop in the tom fills as they panned across the stereo field. They were loud at either end, but as they came across the middle, they just died. Could be a phase issue. Toms in this kind of music have to be cannons. They need to accentuate. This just wasn't happening here.

Yeah, I guess the tom sound could use some work. I try my best to program some little changes here and there. I guess I wasn't trying hard enough. I need an inperfection-effect or something, I guess :D Toms should be good, or not, I don't know. It's probably my bad EQ'ing, or my bad samples. I've noticed those tom volume things occasionally too. I'll have to look into it.

Overall, it's a great mix. Everything is right where it should be, and it gels into a cohesive mass. Just work on that guitar sound and get a real drummer!

I'll probably never get a real drummer, but thanks anyway. I'll just try to program them better or get better sounds or something... Thanks for your input.

-0z- [/B]

Oh, I checked your site. No wonder you come up with that stuff. My 'studio' is my computer, Zoom505-II, guitar and a bunch of effects on computer. :D

Careful with him Cranky...I just read his Bio...... He's also from Hamilton.... Were getting quite a Hamilton, Ontario clan going on here...LOL

:D:D:D

VOXVENDOR said:
Careful with him Cranky...I just read his Bio...... He's also from Hamilton.... Were getting quite a Hamilton, Ontario clan going on here...LOL

:D:D:D

AHHH YES! Hamilton! My beloved home town. Unfortunately, I now live in a shithole called Windsor.

Actually, I came from a little town called "Binbrook" just outside of Hamilton, which end of town are you from Vox?

I drive through Binbrook on 56 regularily... I am in Stoney Creek, (Which is now officially a suburb of Hamilton)........But, I Grew up and lived in the Eastgate Square Neighbourhood untill 2 years ago.

Chris Tondreau is also from Hamilton....
Were in a band together.
Joe

Cool! Stoney Creek... my home away from home. My grandfather built the cross overlooking the town by the punchbowl.... I'm not making this up.

-0z-

......this will not be pushed out by the 1.5 game
........not on my watch...... ........godammit!:D

KILLER JOB!!
This is one of my favorite songs and you guys did a great job on it.
Are the drums done with Fruity Loops?? I gotta know how you did the drums!

OzNimbus said:

-0z-

check out the other MOP floating around, and see what you think of the guitar sound and the real drummer

BASS question...

Hey, did you do the bass for the song on an actual guitar or did you program that? Curious......just wondering if you know all the notes for the damn song.....Cliff Burton is a freak, he likes to change the rhythm that he plays and messes up beat all the time. So there are parts that I know I'm not exactly playing what he did

CLIFF BURTON RULES!!;)

MyDyingBride said:
check out the other MOP floating around, and see what you think of the guitar sound and the real drummer

hehe!! I knew you were a friend of Analytical man!! LMAO! :D

hey guys, I appreciate the comments about my end.. I know the vocals are not as good as the music, but it was fun!

late!

B.SABBATH said:
hehe!! I knew you were a friend of Analytical man!! LMAO! :D

ummm, okay...i didn't know that i had to be a friend of someone to suggest to people that they should check something else out

so are you saying that anytime someone says "hey, man check this sh*t out, it's good", that they must be the dudes buddy

don't get me wrong this version is good, they are both good, both have ups and downs, the guy was looking for a different guitar sound and the other dude had a different guitar sound, i figured what the hell, i might as well let him know that something is out there incase he didn't find it himself:)

i guess i'll just keep to myself on threads started by others;)

anyways it's the competition that makes music grow.....later

no dude, that's not what I was saying.. I do think your affiliated with 'A man' somehow though.. Maybe your even the bass player on that recording..

As far as I'm concerned, the more metal in the clinic the better! Most people around here check out people who participate by listening to others tunes.. He would probably get more replies if he dropped more comments on others tunes..

Sorry if I came off like a dick!

Attachments

• nurple-worldsrotten2.gif
    nurple-worldsrotten2.gif
    19.3 KB · Views: 30
Whoa. This thread is going TOO long now :D

But I guess it's ok... About the drums, no fruity loops, but I DID use computer drum sounds, so no real ones. I made the drum tracks with Cakewalk Sonar.

The bass track is also midi. I know Cliff used to do some weird bass fills here and there. I didn't pay attention to them though, so my fills are just MY fills :D

And since the guitar tone seems to be a downside for a few people, I just *might* change the tone on my next, but I'm not sure, since it's already kinda finished... But... I dunno. Still, thank you guys for checking this out.

Back