Looking for some honest feedback

Song Play Error

An error occurred while attempting to play the selected song. The error reported was: Deep linking to songs on AudioStreet is only allowed for premium artists.

I'm not an engineer either, but here are my thoughts.

Everything is on time - good. It's mixed okay for that particular style. At least you can hear everything clear, however it is muddy and there's a lot of buildup in the lower frequency ranges. Panning is done pretty well.

The vocals are perhaps a little too loud. For me everything is flanged too much. The vocal performance is good overall but on "beee" and "seee" it loses power.

Everything else is pretty darn good for what it is.

playit said:
I'm not an engineer either, but here are my thoughts.

Everything is on time - good. It's mixed okay for that particular style. At least you can hear everything clear, however it is muddy and there's a lot of buildup in the lower frequency ranges. Panning is done pretty well.

The vocals are perhaps a little too loud. For me everything is flanged too much. The vocal performance is good overall but on "beee" and "seee" it loses power.

Everything else is pretty darn good for what it is.

What were you smokin? Cyanide?

man that shit is dangerous to my tweeters, don't post stuff like that, seriously. You got some big eq issues not to mention the effects. Start with getting good clean natural sounds recorded. If you have to eq the hell out of it, it was'nt recorded right in the first place. Sorry I did'nt finish listening to the tune for fear of damaging my speakers.

Hey Playit!!!

Thanks for the comments. I am new at a lot of the recording process as well as the writing and singing, i put my work on here hoping that i want get riped a new one and some people with a much better understanding than i will share some valuable knowledge that will help me. You have done just that!!!
Can you recommend a book or something that would give me a better understanding so that i dont make this mistake again. For instance the muddled (is that because of to much reverb) or not recorded clean enough?
even if i dont get a response to this question , thanks again for your input!!!

later,
Viper

Livilanic and TravisinFlorida -- I listened to the song on my Event TR-8 monitors, which have a pretty flat frequency response so I'm guessing that's why it sounded not so crazy to me.

Viper15_17 - I listened to the song again and the other thing I noticed this time which is probably the source of Nic and Travis's comment is all the sibilance and high frequency noise on the vocals. Basically I think that all your vocals are high up and everything else is down low in the EQ range. However, one thing that's good about the mix is nothing fights any other thing. I mentioned flange earlier, and now I'm wondering if I mistook all the sibilance for flanger all over the song.

Anyway, if you're looking for a book there's a couple of standard staples that folks on this board and the Harmony Central Recording board recommended to me in the past. And I bought them. Modern Recording Techniques by Huber & Runstein is the first. Boring book but covers just about everything. Then there's a really useful book called The Mixing Engineer's Handbook by Bobby Owsinski. Get that one first.

Maybe its what your using to record all "this". Can you leave a bit of info plz? On what mics and such you use?

L8er,
livilaNic

Hey livilaNic and Playit

Im almost ashame to say this because i know all you guys are recording on these high dollar equipment but all i have is a boss br-532. Hey, you got to start some where right. I am thinking though that I am going after the effects :reverb, chorus and doublin effect way to much and often. And i should be trying to "kiss" keep it simple stupid- as for my music having a lot down in the low range, i knew exactly what you are talking about Playit, being left handed I play alot down in that range.

As for the mid-range between voice and low range I know I need something but i cant put my finger on it ! Again Playit, thanks again for the advice, i will get the book for sure!!!

Viper

Well, I can't get the site to open for the life of me, but I can comment a bit on what the others were trying to tell you.

About the cost of your equipment, it's not a factor; it's what you do with it that counts.

The "low range" that Playit was talking about are the frequency ranges in your eq settings, not where you are playing your instrument at. I am a lefty too, and I don't know what that has to do with where I play....

If you are getting silabance in your recordings, it's because you are singing straight into your mic. Get a pop filter, and try to position the mic so that it is aimed at your chin or the tip of your nose. Also applying a bit of eq in the mixdown will help with some of it, but singing it correctly and a pop filter will go a long way toward reducing it. Silabance is the "sssss" sounds caused by your breath hitting the diaphram in your mic, in case you didn't know...

Listen to your favorite CD and compare it to the way your song sounds. You won't be able to match the volume, but listen to the instruments and vocals and how they compare to what you are doing. Your goal is to match that sound quality in what you produce. I will try to listen to your song when I get home, as my pc has issues with certain sites and offer you a bit more.

Hey Rokket

Thanks for the feed back man, i will look into getting me a pop filter, i know what you mean now after listen to it again, after the comments that Playit gave to me, i have ordered the second book that he mentioned, about mixing.

thanks,
Viper

Back