I've gone techno....

Shaky Tee

Between being and nothing
Yep, hard to believe but it's true. First new tune of the year and it's a cross between world beat and techno...

I just put together another unfinished, er, masterpiece, that I began on my palm pilot and finished in Fruity Loops, which you can find either at the top of the page here:

Here

or

here

The song is called Phoolan Devi and features all kinds of vocals (smooth, and er, otherwise...I had the damndest time trying to eq the lead vocals on this track and they still sound way too bright), blips, beats, and anything else that makes a cheesy techno tune run.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get this remixed by someone else soon, but in the meantime, let me have it!

interesting song, I really like it! What does Phoolan Devi mean?

The vocal sound is terrible.. I doubt e.q. will fix it, but I guess anything is possible.. It sounds very sibilant and over compressed, and badly e.q.'d.. this would sound 100x better with a real vocal sound..

the music has a pretty sexy sound to it.. I can picture someone belly dancing when they sing it.. Are you saying 'this body's not for sin'? hehe! sure it's not.. :)

Yeah, I know it sounds terrible...

All the backing vocals were recorded with the Tascam US-224 using it's ASIO drivers. When N-Track started sagging on me from the Tascam trying to handle too many tracks, I had to switch over to my Digigram VXPocket. This probably counts for the sibilance in some the lead vocals

What should I do? Take the compression off? Rerecord the vocals? kill the reverb?

I'm at a loss here. All the tricks that worked for me in the past failed me this time...

I like it. It's not the kind of stuff I usually listen to, but it's got a lot of good ideas.

OK, so the vocal sound needs work (although the performance is fine) - it's a bit brittle just now.

Also, the scream vocals over the techno section - I would probably move them back a bit with an even larger reverb, or just turn them down slightly. I like the idea, but I think they're just a wee bit too "up front" just now.

I love the phasy synth playing single notes over on the left hand side. I also really like the bend-up guitar-y sound after the techno section and before the final verse vocal comes in.

Cool stuff.

Cheers

AB

I guess I was a little more positive on the vocal sound than most. Not fantastic, but I didn't cringe either. I thought the vox were a bit too far back in the mix. Cool harmonies though.

Something wasn't right with the note you hit coming out coming out of the verse going in to the chorus (when you sing "Phoolon Devi" over the "this body's not for sale" stuff). It sounds sharp to me.

Lyrically, yeah a bit obtuse. It's also a songwriting challenge because you're trying to tell a long store in a song. You've packed quite a few words into the song and the cadence makes for a tough delivery in spots. Maybe rewrite some of the more difficult lines if possible.

My toughts... Trip.

Um...Weird,but nice.Good job with the Fruity Loops ! :D Neat vocals and it really smokes when it picks up and my son thought it was cool;) Not really Techno ,more like international progressive pop trance

Thanks all!

Trip, I've got some ideas of what I want to say using less words. I've also got some ideas of how to fix the damn vocal sound!

WISC, yeah, I've gotten really creative with that software. It really rocks!!! I also got the Soundfont player addin.

Alibish, thanks so much! Seems like the vocals automatically come up whenever I mix down :confused: Gonna have ta work on that...

teeing off on techno, very nice stuff, this. very trancing and hard to let go of.

dtb

Really cool composition. I like the way its done. I like the backing vocal sound a lot, the lead vocal was a bit harsh though like some others have said, I wish it was warmer with a little reverb. I'll bet you could redo the lead part and play around with it and find something great.
Really nice mood to it and done real well I think. I never heard a song done about her, and I'm glad you did.

really cool stuff goin on here..i like the vocals effects in the begining........and a story to boot.....nice..

how many total tracks does something like this take ??...just curious..

wow cool tempo change....

ok im just gonna listen for a bit.............

Trippy song!

Wierd thing goin' on with that vocal track. Sounds like some serious hard-knee compression artifacts. If that was an intentional effect I can't say it works. If not definately re-track it.

I'm a big fan of unusual note choice and dissonance but there's a note in that chorus that ain't working. Too much going on there to pick it out.

I like the idea of the song and the overall sound of the track. It might just be me, but the hook line "phoolan devi" sounds like you are singing in a totally different key than the key of the track, which I couldn't really get past. The rest of the vocal sounds like the melody works with the track just fine. I liked the rave up section in the middle too.

You know, I found myself wanting to hear your vocal right up front--kind of breathy and uneffected in the verses. Use the verb and the effects for the other parts and for the vocal in the rave up in the middle. Break it up some, maybe.

Overall, its an interesting tune with a hypnotic hook going on. I think you could get more mileage if you played around some more with the vocal.

Hey all!! Thanks!!

I redid the effects on some of vocals and reuploaded the tune, so, hopefully, since I did some further equing, and eased off on the compression, the lead vocal won't sound so harsh.

Tonight, I was hearing the song with fresh ears, and I did find where I was off with the first "Phoolan Devi" in each chorus. It kinda pissed me off since I just sent the tunes to a friend for some further remixing (he'll probably add pitch correction, LOL!!).

Jamal, at one point, I had 37 tracks. It was the most tracks I ever had on a tune.

At this point, I may have to do what M. Brane and bobbo suggested and retrack, if my further attempts at EQing aren't helping...

Bobbo, I was attempting a 3 minute pop song. I could only get one aspect of her life down. God, I wanted to do more...

You got a really nice vocal mix, and a nice voice.Id like to hear it a little biggger. sounds like you got FL mapped out really well and each tune reflects more control over what it can do. Damn nice loops your making. Im curious about something though, how the hell do you do this on a Palm Pilot?

:)

Hey Toki!!

Thanks for that. I'm going to redo the vocals this weekend (got some of the verses pared down, so I'm not trying to do too much vocal). And I'm also having a couple of friends do some remixing (hey! I may even get a dance hit out of this after all!)

How I did it:

I did three tracks (drums, bass, and the flute thing) on my palm using this software:

www.minimusic.com

I hotsynced the file to my laptop, where it showed as a MIDI file, and I was able to play with it a little in my MIDI sequencer (mostly did tempo changes). I then imported the file into Fruity Loops and added all the other instrumentation there (even added reverb and chorus and some effects). I exported the song as wave and tracked the vocals using N-Track. I mixed on N-Track as well.

I've heard you can mix the vocals in Fruity Loops? Don't know how it's done. Every time I import a wave file it seems to not show up. :confused:

Anyway...to say that FL has changed my musical life has been an understatment :eek: Of course, I still have a lot to learn, but I'm pretty happy with where I'm going....

Hey tee,

this is a cool grooVe!!!!!!! i'm feelin it, i need some of those little clickers on my fingers!!:D vocal issues have been covered:)

100% goovealicious!!!!!

thank's!!

peace

rick

Back