Interested in feedback

Fixed link (I think!)

Hi all,

Haven't been able to make LighteningMP3 work. It let's me upload and says it sending an email with the link, but no e-mail comes. I think I've got the following mediafire link fixed. Folder wasn't set for public sharing.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e...f6a356e10b37d5

I hope it will work now. If it does, I'm interested in any feedback on my tune, especially how I might make it sound better through mix/eq/master.

Thanks,
J

Starts out fantastic.

The guitar solos moving further and further to the right channel feels odd and off balance to me. It sounds like it's almost completely to the right by 1:35 or so. I really liked the panning of the first solo better.

Outside of that it's hard to find much to say outside of tastebud things. It's gonna need some compression during mastering, seems like it might have a good bit of headroom but it's hard to know for sure.

(Not that it matters, but I wouldn't call it jazz. It seems dead center blues to me).

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for listening Briski,

I'll have a look at the panning.

I'm still learning how/when to use compression, so you may be right about the headroom thing. I know there's something about it that still doesn't sound quite right to my ear, compared to other things I listen to in a similar style, but I can't quite describe what it is. . . maybe compression is part of it.

Thanks again,
J

PS - Most of my playing experience has been blues rock. A few years ago I starting learning Jazz chords and have played quite of bit of jazz as an accompanist. The chords in this have what was intended to be some Jazzier movement, but my lead playing is still pretty bluesy. Thx for the comments

hi, thought the track sounded good, the one thing I noticed was the kick drum seems to be mainly beater and not much else, with this kind of track i'm sure you don't want it to be dominant but I'd suggest bringing up the low end of it so its a bit more present,or maybe you just need to notch out a bit of your bass guitar with EQ to make room for it as that could be masking it, hope this helps.

Thanks Benage

Thanks for the feedback. The kick is a victim of my poor mixing. I recorded and mixed this in Mixcraft using just my computer monitor speakers. That's all I had attached to my computer at the time and I was too lazy to port it to my mp3 player to listen on my stereo. When I played it back on real speakers which I now do have, I realized the bass was WAAYY too loud. But my Mixcraft free trial is over, and I've since switched to Reaper and don't really want to buy Mixcraft. I can remix in mixcraft but I can't export. So, in Reaper, I eq'd my original mix to bring the bass into line, but with it went most of the thump of the kick.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure.

Anyway thanks again for the feedback.

J

Why can't you just import all the individual tracks to Reaper? What type of file are your raw tracks? .wav?

Anyhow, I am downloading this as I type, hope to have a critique in a day or two... :o Damn slow server... :mad:

I don't want to sound like an ass, but to me those drums don't sound real. I can't put my finger on it, it's not a tracking issue. There is just something not right about them. Lack of human feel? Maybe you would be better served to remix from scratch with Reaper.

The bass is taking over the mix some.

Performance is pretty good, but the lead guitar strays off key in a couple spots. Not bad otherwise.

Good call about the drums, Rokket

There's a good reason the drums don't sound real:) They're samples from a Yamaha P250 keyboard. I did have to play them for real because, the sequencer in that keyboard has no cut and paste, but you're right. It doesn't have the right feel. I have an Alesis P250 kit now and am learning to play, so future efforts should sound better. Will still be samples, but probably better than I could record in my music room anyway.

Tracks are all wave files, so I could probably pull it all into reaper and synch it together, but I'm kinda too tired of hearing the song at this point.

Maybe I'll come back to it in a few months with fresh ears. Meanwhile, working on a next project.

Thanks for giving a listen and feedback,

J

Back