How does this fusion mix sound as far as levels and eq?

Ex3vious

Hey guys, I've been getting into recording fusion tracks lately. What I'm looking to do is produce a few quality fusion jam tracks for myself and others to practice on. Also I want to record some lead guitar over the tracks. However I want to work on the quality of the backing tracks so those are the best they can be before I add any lead instruments. And that is why I'm here.

Here is my latest track. I'm happy with the sound of the instruments on this track. I feel the eq could use some improvement but I'm not sure what exactly it needs. To my ears there is just a bit too much bass. I am new to mixing so it is hard to tell if there is too much bass coming from the guitars or the bass itself.

Anyways, if you could give it a listen and then comment on how the mix sounds that would be great. While I am looking for feedback on the bass in particular, any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks for taking the time to review my work.
https://soundcloud.com/ben-2014/f-minor-fusion-track-demo

The drums sound wayyyyyyyyyyy too far back, and the guitars are by far way out in front. It sounds as though the bass and drums were recorded in a big room, and they were very far away from the mics. It sounds as though there's a lot of ambiance on them, and that's making them sound very far away and lack any focus. How did you record the bass?

The guitars sound ok to me now, but it's really hard to judge how they'll sound when the mix has a better overall level balance (with drums and bass that are more present and up front). They sound as though they were recorded direct, and possibly without an amp/cab simulator. Maybe?

The track is cool and all; there are just some mixing issues IMHO.

Ok, so I'll try and take reverb out of the drums and bass see if that will bring them up front. Is there anything else that can be done to move something to the front of the mix

I'm not hearing much bass guitar cutting through.
When the whole song goes quiet for a bit, the kick sounds strange. It doesn't seem to go down in volume with the rest of the song.

Yeah I'm having trouble getting the bass to cut through its a midi simulated upright bass. I can adjust the kick velocity for the quiet parts, thanks for the tip. Any tips on getting the bass to be more prevalent?

Have a bass with more mid range?
The bass could also be "swamping" the whole low and low mid section. Try sweeping it with an EQ and finding out where the problem is. You don't need it to dominate everything from 70-500Hz. It should be more precise and tight than that.

Back