How do you listen: a poll

Archiegood

Hi, all:

I read a piece on Hometracked that suggested you should mix for your audience; particularly how they listen. The concensus was that the majority of people listen to music through headphones and computer speakers.

So, how do you listen?

If headphones, ear buds or good ones?

If computer speakers, tiny ones or good ones?

Also, how do other people listen to your stuff?

I'll do my best to compile results.

Which question are you asking?

How do you listen?

Or

How do you mix?

It's 2 different things. I might LISTEN to music through headphones and computer speakers.
But I MIX using studio monitors.

It might be true that people don't listen to music through headphones and computer speakers (if you say so)...But you shouldn't be mixing through them either, so I'm missing the point of the "article".

By the way, this thread is in the wrong forum. It should be in the MIXING/MASTERING forum.

i main source of playback is my car ,my system consists of the following:

premier p880prs head unit
orion 800.2 component amp
boston z6 component set up front
memphis 500 on rear fill
boston nx87 6x8 on rear fill duty
orion 2500d @ 1/2 on sub duty
2x orion xxx 15s in 10 cu ft^3 @34hz w/ 130 sq in of port area

i also have 350sq ft of sound deadener through out and absolutely no rattles.

my system has a basically flat response from 36-14000k hz
with less than a 1.4db difference between each octave (inaudible difference)

$8,200 invested in my car audio setup and i did all the installation myself

phfeww enuff im done

btw... as the mixer you have final say, i always mix tracks to sound best to my liking as well as appear best on the analyzer, i stand by my analyzer and use it for every track i mix including my masters... just my .02

When I come into the mp3 mixing clinic, I pretty much always listen to people's songs on Sennheiser HD497 phones. If I happen to have my monitors on because I'm doing some mixing of my own, then I will listen with them.

I was gonna ask the same question of people who listen to other people's songs in the mp3 mixing board. I would assume most people listen with headphones. I dunno.

For my own listening pleasure I use a Marantz 52SE CD player or Kenwood turntable through a JVC quad amp ( with synth 4 channel for the psych stuff) into AR speakers in the downstairs room or the same brand sources through an NAD amp into Bose floor standing speakers in the living room.
If I'm walking down to the shop I use a little MP3 player with h/phones NOT earbuds- this also gives me an idea of just how bad my stuff can sound.
If I'm on the train I use a CD walkman with the same ear gear as above.
For the MP3 clinic I use Sony MDR headphones initially or late at night though I run my sound card through a Toshiba amp & Akai speakers if nobody's sleeping.
Mixing - AR speakers and a VERY neutral sansui amp - can't afford monitors so I use good stereo speakers.
IF I'm sketching song ideas on laptop I use a Behri USB soundcard & h'phones but I don't like using that much.

I listen through some lousy JBL computer speakers here in the clinic. I don't hook up the daw to the internet. That is why I don't comment on mixes. I'll only comment on if the song is good or not.

I listen through headphones and monitors both for listening to mixes.

I don't own use PC speakers....but right now, I don't listen at all. I have no audio....:(

Back