Highway Star - new mix

Cool, good vocal tones.
I love this DP tune!
Smoke on the water is the stairway to heaven of DP songs.
This tune is my fav DP tune.

I did a sound test a while back to see if I wanted to do a Higway Star cover.
This is as far as I got.

I decided I couldn't sing it so what's the point.
Nice job guys.

Last edited:
BushmasterM4
thanks for listening man..... it was a blast to do it.

EL34

glad you liked it!
the vox, were a real treat for me, cuz i've been listening to this song for, well hell, since it came out!!
LOL
one of those permenant 'ear-worms'.....
but only sing it in the shower.
;)

the hardest part of all, was trying to cop the 'vibe' of blackmore's solo, but still sound like myself doing it.
i must have tracked that whole thing a dozen times before i finally went 'meh'.
:D

i have a brand new mix uploaded...
much better than the first two...
i stuck a fork in it.

me too....

i happen to know that one!
LOL

but, i don't think i'll be doing any more purple covers...

Ha! Very good version. We used to play this live, and it's not easy to pull off. You guys did a great job. And look out Gillan, great vocals too

This is pretty damn cool.The song has a special place for me,I still remember the day my brother brought Machine Head home and played it.You didn't get that kind of stuff off the AM radio,that's for sure. :eek:

Great job! :cool:

machine head.......

acidrock- i know what you mean.

time is relevent to all stories, and in the time that machinehead came out (real early 70's) hard rock was kind of setting the bar at that time..

you had heavy before that (hendrix, link wray, etc) but purple had all those players, and that singer..

it was a cool time.

Highway star is a bit of a cliche, after all these years, but when you get down to it, still a really powerful song and arrangement.

i learned a lot from this little experiment.

thanks for listening.

IMO, Highway star is a way cooler tune than smoke on the water.

Smoke is so overdone, like freebird and stairway.
I liked the first 1 or 2 million times I heard it.

They should add those two to the "No stairway to heaven" signs in music stores. :D

EL34
no kidding, when smoke first came out, it was so cool for beginner guitar players to actually be able to pull of a cool lick.
and even then, most of them didn't get it right, because they'd strum the chords, instead of plucking the two strings like ritchie did.
LOL
no stairway either, i'd sign on for that!

acidrock
i dig machinhead too.

most of them didn't get it right, because they'd strum the chords, instead of plucking the two strings like ritchie did

I never spent that much time trying to figure it out, but I did see a DVD recently of Deep purple playing live at a big outdoor event in california.
I saw how Ritchie played it and it was pretty simple.

GONZO-X said:
EL34
no kidding, when smoke first came out, it was so cool for beginner guitar players to actually be able to pull of a cool lick.

I learned to play it on one string,probably the very first thing I ever learned how to play that wasn't from a Mel Bay book. :o :rolleyes:

ya, agreed, nice cover...vox sound pretty cool on this one...excellent job on the screaming part...dead on...

Whoa, good stuff... I was waiting and waiting for the bottom end to come in, and when it did, I went "oh, cool effect!!"

Excellent collaboration, guys, really top notch work. Super tight drum rudiments. All the playing is hot fo' sho'. Sounds like you worked hard, and had a blast!!

Back