Hey , bash my recording ..

wizardof7

Did this song for a buddy of mine . He sent me a cd of a basic tune he wrote . I did everything except the vocals . Which were recorded on a bad mic , clips and distortion . Did my best to fix it . Just want some feedback on if I can get the vocals to sit a little better . bash away .. thanks for listening and any feedback

Attachments

• Masquerademp4.mp3
    3.6 MB · Views: 63
I did everything except the vocals .

Well, everything sounds good except for the vocal. j/k. Although it could use some improvement, it's not bad as it is.... the vocal track, I mean. Maybe try some EQ changes and a different reverb to get it to sit better in the mix. Or here's a trick, on the reverb send, notch out the freqs that center around the vocal track, then run it through a little compression. That will allow the reverb to shine through without muddying up the mix.

Guitar tones and performance all fit comfortably into the genre. I don't listen to metal all that much, but the song seems good from what I know.

I noticed the mix sounds great when the cranked up, but don't forget to work the mix with low volume as well.

Good job and thanks for sharing.

Thanks Chili for your feedback . You have no idea how much eq is on that vocal track .lol If I sent you the vox track you would understand . I did put a number of different verbs on it . Always to me kept stepping back too far .But notching the verb is a great idea something I will try . But it's funny how yes it does sound good cranked up !! but kinda thin when you play it at lower volumes . Any tips on that ? There is one other song i posted I am waiting to get some feedback on as well . Thank you so much !!

wooh the song remains the same. Got an Iron Maiden vibe. Cool tune. Nice riffing and the vocals are great. Too much in a different space though. I would dry them up considerably and some parallel compression. Good job

Cool Thanks , I will try that . I have never really put vocals on anything . I always used recording as a tool for writing . Put parts down to present to the band . I'll give that a try and Thank you !!

Excellent tuneage! Little muddy on the 300-450 areas.
Are you running YM model on the solos? Sounds a lot like him.
Gotta agree, the song in general (vocal (amazing voice) and chord progression) sound a lot like Maiden.
The vocal effects are all too wet. Good effects should be semi-unheard...i.e. You don't notice there's an effect unless you turn off the effect, THEN it's really noticable. OR it's for musical purposes, like the heavy echo/verb you've got going on (but you're stomping on the clarity of the words. Effects can be parallel as well :) Let that voice shine through!

Excellent tuneage! Little muddy on the 300-450 areas.
Are you running YM model on the solos? Sounds a lot like him.
Gotta agree, the song in general (vocal (amazing voice) and chord progression) sound a lot like Maiden.
The vocal effects are all too wet. Good effects should be semi-unheard...i.e. You don't notice there's an effect unless you turn off the effect, THEN it's really noticeable. OR it's for musical purposes, like the heavy echo/verb you've got going on (but you're stomping on the clarity of the words. Effects can be parallel as well Let that voice shine through!
Hey thanks Broken ! I am currently working to clean some of those things up . I used two different amp sims on this tune . Lepou hybrit , and Lepou le456 with a tube screamer . With a nadir cab IR loader . It's taken me a while to dial a sound with these sims . Then I have to run it through a bunch of stuff to get it to punch . two of my favs for guitar is bootsy rescuemks . Great for adding some good mids and width . And voxengo warmifier . Adds the right edge for me . The vocal track was a mess though . Has severe clips and distortion from a bad mic . The effects were an attempt to warm it up . but mixing is something i have taken an interest in very recently . I will repost the corrections soon . And yes yngwie was a huge influence of mine ... lol Thanks so much for your input !!

Last edited:
Acoustic Guitar is adding unnecessary bass to the mix. Maybe try a bit of hi-pass filter on. Maybe change up the snare at the heavier parts - a bit more "thwack" for dynamics on each passage

Acoustic Guitar is adding unnecessary bass to the mix. Maybe try a bit of hi-pass filter on. Maybe change up the snare at the heavier parts - a bit more "thwack" for dynamics on each passage

? Acoustic guitar ? Really none here . But definitely that thwack is hard to get on superior drummer . Believe me I have tried about everything . Any suggestions ? tricky thing is there are four mics for the snare . most of the time i use two of them . top mic is really dull and doesn't have that good mid range for the thwack . and the bottom is all sizzle . used all different kinds of eqs . the guitars have a funky fizz because they are plugins . Hard to work with sometimes . it does have a HP LP . But thanks for your comment they are all helpful :)

Holy crap; Iron Maiden called, and they want their demos back! :) Total Maiden vibe going on there. If the singer's vocals were a 4th higher and had better pitch, it'd sound quite a bit like Dickinson too.

Anyway, fun track, but yeah the vocal is pretty indistinct and lacks a lot of clarity. It's hard to say what the problem is here, but in general, there's a muddiness in the low end. I wouldn't want to have to transcribe the bass line, for instance, because I can't really tell what it's doing at all most of the time. The guitars sound very present but a little shrill at times --- mostly the rhythm guitars. Thanks for sharing --- took me back to my 80s bedroom. :)

The only thing I bashed is my head as I banged it to this tune! Love it.
Agree with the verb comments above, would like a bit more dry on the vocal... but this song rocks!

Love me some 80's for sure.

Back