Help my mix, Rock n Roll

bone

Spent hours mixing and could not get a guitar tone that I'm happy with. Could not get the Kick to stand out without being to boomy. Vocals are Dead sounding. Can't seem to Sit any of the instruments really.
Snare-57, kick-D112, 2 Oktiva Overheads, guitars and bass-J Station, Vocals-Marshall2001 and Dmp3 preamp.

www.crushrecords.com/songs.html
Thanx
Bone

I've made worse recordings to be sure but it all sounds kind of jammed together on a plane and rushed.

The bass sounds good on my shitty computer speakers though.

The guitar sounds terrible imo lol. Not that the guy can't play but that abrasive distortion is killing me at the cellular level. It's so cliche but there is absolutely no "warmth" in that guitar whatsoever. Maybe you like it that way. I dunno.

I might add some distortion to the vox though. Then again I might not know what I'm talking about. Reverb too. The vox sound too dry.

This is almost there though I guess.

It's certainly "Rock"

I like the tune, but have to agree. The guitars were thin sounding. What bitrate is that encoded at? Don't know if that was a problem, or the tone of the guitars were meant to be thin. Just sounds like the recording could use a bit more something. Sounds like the song has energy, but this recording didn't really bring it out to the songs fullest potential. Again, may have just been the particular version I heard. If the bitrate is pretty low, maybe that's where the dynamics went. Almost lo-fi. Hope that helps. Not picking on the song, as the performance seems to be good, it just seems to be lacking something in the sound. Not enough boom.
Ed

Back