Gypsy punk rock?

Disease8

Not sure how to describe my friends band I recorded recently. This recording was done with cheap mics and mixed under pressure. All the instruments were redubbed apart from the drums. Recorded in a large archway under train tracks with cheap mics.

Check it out anyway. Thanks:-)

http://www.bigholeproductions.org/PIKEY SONG.wav

I know its not perfect but what do you guys like or dislike?
Also I used some really crappy monitors as my alesis monitor mkII passives died..:-(

Haha, not bad. The drums and vocals seem small compared to all the strings and accordians and shit. I don't know if you can get more tracking done, but more vocals would be good, and pan em around to fill the space. Get more presence from the kick and snare.

thanks man yeah the kick and snare are dead! But because we only had one go in the rehearsal space to track the drums we could not really do much to them. The original recordings were very rough, it was a misunderstanding, my friend said to get a rough recording and them after I turned up without any good mics he mentioned he wanted to sell it at gigs!
Hence all the over dubs.

Ps
My friend wanted his vocals pretty quiet.
I would have mixed bit different.

The assorted folk instruments (violins, saxaphone, etc.) sound good.
The bass sounds fine.
The drums are pretty buried, especially the kick and snare. Especially at around 3:15 when everything comes back in!
The gang vocals sound pretty good, though I think having a voice or two in a higher register would help. It sounds like everyone is at the bottom of his range and straining a bit.

Good job on this. I think the others already jumped on the drum thing and I agree with them. The rest however sounds pretty good to me - especially given the constraints you note above. Well done. Interesting tune to say the least.

I think you could possibly be in murky racial waters with the title/lyrics, but the music sounds good to me. Nice.

That's what makes it interesting. We don't need another love song. Besides, gypsies are evil.

It's 'pikey' rather than 'gypsy' that could be problematic - unless the group are gypsy types themselves, it's something of a perjorative term.

Agreed on there being enough love (and breakup) songs to go around already though.

Is the "Gypsies stole my wife!" theme a common stereotype? I've heard a couple songs about it over the years.

Hmmm, at the risk of becoming the MP3 clinic gypsy spokesman, and not wanting to get into a long off-topic debate or second guess the OP or context, it's just a phrase I'd be wary of putting in a song. It is a bit of a stereotype,along with the theft thing - it's like putting up a song on here called 'yids hoard all the gold'

Hey guys thanks for the feedback and thank you for complimenting the mix i know its a huge mess but we did our best lol...
As for the topic my friend that made the tune is whole heartedly appreciative of "pikeys" and the tune is sorta ironic that the pikey would have a chance of stealing your wife. Its kinda a compliment and ironic comment at the same time. And I say more for daring tunes that make a joke about something as you say NO MORE LOVE SONGS lol!!!

PS i took down the track as my friend does not know its up here and I noticed that a lot of people were downloading it which i didn't really want as he wants to sell the CD. I might put it back up in MP3 format but probably leave it...
Thanks again I didn't think I would get such good feedback! :-)

Ok uploading...
(please do not download this for copy right reasons if you want a copy of the album my friend is selling them and they are printed up glossy CD's I will send you)

Not bad, considering the environment. I liked the vocals best. Drums sounded good, but needed to be turned up in places... possibly compressed to tame volume. Some instruments seemed out of tune, and the mix itself seemed a bit neurotic - all in all, I enjoyed listening to it, and I guess that's what matters most.

Thanks for sharing!

Back