Good clean fun, track adds!

Llarion

So, in the "Brush with Greatness" department, my cousin is John Regan; he has been Peter Frampton's bass player for about 25 years now; he played with Frehley's Comet and does tons of studio and jingle work as a producer and bassist.

Well, I've always been a Frampton fan. And I always wanted to play with him. That'll never happen, but I made it happen virtually. Peter released a remix CD that had some bonus tracks on it, of him doing solo guitar/singer in a small venue in Japan. Can you say, "blank canvas"? :D

So, I just imported the track, and added myself playing drums, bass, keys, and 12-string guitar. The hardest part was matching the room ambience... Second hardest was dealing with the loose meter... :)

Whattya think? Good fun!

Show Me The Way (Sample of original track)

Show Me The Way (With Llarion playing the part of "Rhythm Section" )

Last edited:
Downloading now...I love Peter Frampton. Always thought he was so under-rated as a guitarist. Always beautiful melodic solos, and he can blow if need be...Obviously a great songwriter, too.

That is too cool...It sounds like you're right there on stage in a small club with him. Something about the snare I'm not crazy about, but I can't put my finger on it. It's not that it doesn't sound good...maybe it's too dry...maybe not, I'm not sure. But something about it. Maybe you could go with a hard brush sound (Like Blastix) to give it an MTV un-plugged type of feel. But that's a nit pick, it sounds fine...Too cool...Gives me an idea...Maybe I'll try to find some acoustic stuff from some of my favorite bands and play along to them. Good practice for mixing and capturing and matching sounds. Great job.

Thanks!!

That's the one problem with V-Drums; it's a stereo signal, I can't isolate one drum to fix in post... I have since edited that kit to make the snare have more crackle and pop... It had snap already. :)

BigB:
Never heard of the guy? :)

Rami's said it pretty well - it sounds like you are right there playing in the club with Frampton - too cool.

This has got to be one of the nices mixes I've heard on this board (or anywhere). Your production skills are excellent. I have this downloaded and cranked in my phones (listened a few times while I typed).

Timing isn't an issue while listening but then again I'm not trying to play with it. Must be different adding drums after the fact. Excellent drums / bass / accoutic.

Care to divulge some details about the bass guitar and setup - the tone is ballsy and tight with lots of punch and NO MUD which is a problem with bass sometimes :cool: . Any secrets you care to share would be appreciated.

Would be a trip playing with Frampton but this is pretty cool too!

bigbubba said:
Never heard of the guy. But pretty neat how you added in all the stuff. Way cool. :)

If I remember correctly he held (or maybe still holds) the record for the biggest selling live album (Frampton Comes Alive). The tune Llarion did was on that album and was Number 1 for weeks ;)

ido1957 said:
Rami's said it pretty well - it sounds like you are right there playing in the club with Frampton - too cool.

This has got to be one of the nices mixes I've heard on this board (or anywhere). Your production skills are excellent. I have this downloaded and cranked in my phones (listened a few times while I typed).

Timing isn't an issue while listening but then again I'm not trying to play with it. Must be different adding drums after the fact. Excellent drums / bass / accoutic.

Care to divulge some details about the bass guitar and setup - the tone is ballsy and tight with lots of punch and NO MUD which is a problem with bass sometimes :cool: . Any secrets you care to share would be appreciated.

Would be a trip playing with Frampton but this is pretty cool too!

Thanks!

The bass is my trusty 1983 Peavey Foundation, direct plug to my D1600 DAW, no EQ or effects at all. The thing is like magic to record with. I never have to mess with it. I run it through an analog tube compressor when I play funk, to keep the sharper transients under control, but this was bare. The drums are a Roland V-Stage kit, with a modded custom kit, with the room tweaked to give the sme ambience as the recording. The 12-tring is a Yamaha, DI, a slight EQ emphasis between 4K and 8K, no reverb needed. The keys are a DynoRhodes patch on my Roland RD-500, with the unit's built in stereo chorus and 'verb...

On the timing, Peter was playing solo with no drums, so his meter floated a little, I suspect by design. It took 4 or 5 takes to get the fluctuations right in the drums. Yes, it's VERY hard to add drums after the fact...

If you search all threads by me, I did another song like this a couple of years ago. (Baby, I Love Your Way)

RAMI said:
Maybe I'll try to find some acoustic stuff from some of my favorite bands
Sure man, just let me know where to upload my over compressed fake amp'd acoustic guitar pieces. :p

I never heard of the guy as in I don't know who he is. I might have heard his stuff. Example, I barely know the names of the Metallica band members. You mention Bon Jovi's keys player by name and I don't know him. I mean talk about Pink Floyd, other than Waters and David Gilmore (I could be mismatching last names here), I don't know the rest. I only recently learnt the name of Aerosmith's singer 'coz there was an article really blasting him.

So I might have heard his music other places. But the voice didn't sound familiar. I don't know I still could have heard of his bands or his other pieces.

We could start a club. People who don't care for Peter something guy that you're all talking about. :p

They don't let you out much, do they Bubba? :)

Frampton hits:

Show Me The Way
Baby, I Love Your Way
Do You Feel Like I Do?
I'm In You

And a whole bunch more. Frampton Comes Alive is in fact still the best selling live album of all time, despite being released in 1976...

Llarion said:
They don't let you out much, do they Bubba? :)

Frampton hits:

Show Me The Way
Baby, I Love Your Way
Do You Feel Like I Do?
I'm In You

And a whole bunch more. Frampton Comes Alive is in fact still the best selling live album of all time, despite being released in 1976...
It was released in '76? I wasn't even born yet. Cut me a little slack. What the heck? :p

Other than that, I'm just not the type to learn celebrity names (hey do they learn our names?) and their personal habits and their pets' names and so on. "Oh my gosh, Jennifer Aniston has a purple chiuahua (sp?)!", or "Oh my gosh Richie and Heather are naming their fourth child 'blah'" and so on. So that explains why I don't know other names.

Of course, I do care a smidge and know that the cool dude's name is Slash and that he has never worn a shirt as far as I can see him in pictures. :)

The rest? Bah Humbug!

So you're serious, you really don't know him? That's very surprising, he's practically an icon... It's not about paparazzi stuff, he's just a great guitarist. But that's OK...

And besides, you come off a LOT older. :D :D
*ducking and running*

Yeah, you look really old....hehe...Like Llarion said, it's not about knowing the names in a "star worship" kind of way...He was a solo artist that was hugely succuessful...But, chances are, you do know his music without knowing it's him. We forgive you....Because we love you.

Llarion said:
Thanks!!

That's the one problem with V-Drums; it's a stereo signal, I can't isolate one drum to fix in post... I have since edited that kit to make the snare have more crackle and pop... It had snap already. :)

Have you considered taking the MIDI out of the vdrum kit into your sequencer/recorder and using your own samples instead of the stock vdrum sounds - that might be a solution to this issue. That way - you will still get the 'feel' of playing without having to use the vdrum module as a drumkit mixer.

just a thought....

And besides, you come off a LOT older.
I sound older than I am? That's a hoot! :) I'm constantly accused of being childish and immature by people around me. :D

What the heck, "Thank you, young man!" :p

Yeah, you look really old....
Dude, are you spying on me or something?

kraley said:
Have you considered taking the MIDI out of the vdrum kit into your sequencer/recorder and using your own samples instead of the stock vdrum sounds - that might be a solution to this issue. That way - you will still get the 'feel' of playing without having to use the vdrum module as a drumkit mixer.

just a thought....

And a very good one; however at the time I did this, I did not yet have that technology available to me... I only had the D1600. Not that I use an M-Audio card, I could do that! I could even still use the sampels in the drum brain, but pull in the tracks MIDI instead of audio, and use the MIDI information at the instrument level to trigger the V-brain as my synth module..

Just wanted to drop a note and say I really enjoyed this...it does really sound like a complete band performance!I always thought this song had a great bass line!!Great job!!

variaxman said:
Just wanted to drop a note and say I really enjoyed this...it does really sound like a complete band performance!I always thought this song had a great bass line!!Great job!!
Thanks v-man! Love your avatar!. Or, in your language:

"|| |||| |||\ ||||| |||||!!!!"
:)

pretty cool song... enjoyed it

both versions really communicate something different, but either way cool rendition of this song...

I can't say much about the mix as i've had too much to drink and I'm listening through computer speakers, but cool man. Thanks

Back