Feedback needed...

yag

Still Newbie
Lately I have discovered the technology vsti so I did some things and I absolutely need somebody to explain me why they are horrible (composition wise)...

http://www.soundclick.com/thirdtriad

My first own critique would be they are simple and repetitive but some perspectives with some advice would be great help.

Hi there, first of all, your virtual instruments don't have dynamics, and that makes them sound unreal and boring. The other thing is when you write the music on the midi map, you should try to humanize the "play", with that i mean, that humans will never hit absolutely perfect in the tempo, so you should move the midi blanks a few milliseconds forward or backward the click. The other thing is when you make a copy of some parts, try to change them, add/remove a note, change the dynamics a little, etc. This things will give a little more "life" to the instruments. Check out the drums i have in my myspace, they are all made with Vsti instruments, and with the dynamics that i use, just a few people realize that they are all programmed. The bass is also Vsti but they where played with a Midi Controller.

thanks zero (and joey). I agree with the plastic feeling but I have not thought of altering the timings. And I will try that.

But I would still appreciate some feedback on the melody if possible.

The dynamic is a very important part of the melody, right now i can't understand if there is a feeling (pianissimo), joy (mezzo forte), etc. So, work on the dynamics and then i can tell you what i think about the melody.

Keep Rocking!

Birth - the dynamics give a suggestion that the music was intended for German Film Noir and similar where a neutrality was as important as creating emotion. The sort of tuff that informed the 1st couple of Kraftwerk albums.
I like your drone sections better than the flurries of notes.
There are some good sections - I think you need to work out what it is you want to convey & then aim for it.
If there was a robot beat behind Birth it would work 100% better as it would, infact, resemble KW.
Interesting - keep at it.

Back