Driving Insane

This is a “Judge What Needs To Be Done Mix”; done in about 20 minutes. It’s 1 of 2 songs we’ve started on my brother's solo album. I once again, JUST came up with this part the day before we tracked the drums. I was still learning the song!

The drums are late going into the second chorus. If the guitars and banjo would “fudge it” with me, I think you’d never notice it. So, we’re going to try to re-track the guitars on other tracks and see if it works! Also, that's a over-dubbed side-stick since my original side-stick was gated-out. Timing sucks on the over-dubbed one. Not going to us it and going simply bypass the gate on the side-stick parts.

The banjo is just a scratch track. In fact, it’s out of tune! Once the guitars are completed, we’ll lay the banjo down for real. The vocals are also just scratch to see how parts sound with the vocals going.

May just end-up re-tracking EVERYTHING as there's already too many little things going-on timing-wise with the drums that it throws everything off!

The acoustic guitars (Santa Cruz and Lowden) were cut with the Behringer ECM8000 at the 12th fret to a DaviSound TB-3 (with compression) and a Urei LA-3A.

Bass guitar (Fender) was tracked through a Mackie VLZ-PRO preamp, Insert Out to a Urei LA-3A.

Drum overheads were a spaced-pair of EV 635As to the Mackie preamps. A Studio Projects C3 was used as a kick drum/ room mic. Preamp was Mackie. The snare and tom were miked each with a Neumann TLM103s about 1” in about 3-4” above, pointing toward the center, to a DaviSound TB-3 (NO pad!). The snare was in the released position on the snare drum, but still slightly touching the resonant head.

Bells were miked with the Studio Projects C3 in omni to a DaviSound TB-3.

Mixed into WaveLab via a LynxOne soundcard @ 24-bit, 48k. Sampled-down to 44.1k in Sound Forge. Dithered and noise-shaped to 16-bit. Burned Red Book CD-R. Track was imported in WaveLab off the CD-R, and MP3ed. Not what I usually for this part, but I wasn't intending on posting this. But, it serves its purpose.

http://home.attbi.com/~westonhouserecording/index.html

guitar is real punchy!!!....cool..the bass drum sounds like a fist hitting bowl full of raw meat....needs more of something..??...vocals are great !...the whole mix sounds real good..sanctuary and integrity...wow nice rhyme...never would have thought..:D..

ok but what are the "steeldrum " sounding in the background??...i like it but WHAT is it?..."lada da hey"....right behind that..?..is that the banjo????...noway?!?!?!:)

jamal

Excellent so far. The guitars sound pretty good. It just feels a little bass shy to me. The kick is there so my guess is it needs a little more bass guiatr level. Just a little.

Sounds really terrific...very "punchy," as someone said earlier.

My wife heard this one while I was playing it and asked who it was. "It's good!" said she. And you should know that she has excellent taste.

Thanks for the listen guys. Glad ya liked it. That bass drum sound is a result of over-compression on a dbx 160X that I added during the quick mixing. That's the sound I was going for... Was going for "different" in this song...

Steeldrum? None here... It's the banjo!

Yeah, I think just a touch more bass guitar too... Just a nudge...

Oh, BobOC, if your wife she has good taste... That must say something about you too!

Back