demo mix of "the Travel Song"

GONZO-X

demo mix of "the Travel Song"

http://********.com/songs.aspx?SongID=50925&ArtistID=30211

or

http://tinyurl.com/3xvpga

this one i had posted before, right after i recorded it.... but i've completely re-worked it from scratch, in sonar.

decided to keep this version real simple and raw- 6 tracks total.
it's got one guitar track, one bass track, a acid drum track, and a lead vox with 2 harmony vox tracks.

this is the one i'm going to try a multi-track guitar approach to... ala queen or anything with 8 guitar parts.
LOL

i have just purchased a Palmer PDI-09 filter box, for recording.
i also will be getting a Weber Mass lite attenuator, and i'm going to use the re-make of this demo, to test the palmer/weber combo.

the way i'll use the palmer, is to take the speaker out of my boogie, into the palmer. it has a thru output, and the thru will continue to the weber, where i'll crush the volume... and onto my greenback. i can mic this, or not.
but from the palmer is also a XLR out, and this will go to my mic pre, and convertor, and into the recorder.

the xlr out, will capture the full output sound of the boogie, while the weber will make it tolerable for recording in the same room as the monitors.

i was going to do that tonight (friday)...
'cept i have this nasty deep cut right across my left hand 'bird' finger, that'll keep me from re-tracking this until it heals...
probably strip it down to just the drums, and re-do everything....

so, i'm open to ideas about where i could have simple rhythm parts, versus multitracked rhythm and melody/harmony lines.....
i could change up everything, except for the drum track.
this bass track, is using my old method.. i've got a new method, which i think will sound much better, so i'll retrack bass as well.

whaddayathink?

the Travel Song

as we journey, into the great tomorrow
we will see, all around us, all around us
all the people, who have come from so far away
and they look weary, and they look weary
we will smile, and offer our friendship,
offer our sanity, offer serinity.

they turn to look for the tangible,
look as they will, they cannot find
the crucible of their devotion,
look here and there, come what may
all they see is apathy
in the faces of everyone else
then a man, with lights in his eyes,
shows them the way, and then explains,
he understands.

everywhere that i go, everywhere that i see,
everywhere that i know, everywhere, that is me.

journey to everywhere,
journey to everywhere,
you are here, you are there, you are there.

following light, following light.

I, travel with you now,
following light, giving me sight
stand steady as a stone,
directing me, calm as the sea.

following light.

Good mix Gonzo - pretty full for just 8 tracks. The instruments are velly "thick" :D

I remember this tune and this is a lot different. Slightly less emphasis on the vocals?

If you track some more guitars this will need a mix change so they don't get all mushy...

Good prog rocker man.....

:cool:

IDO1957

wow thanks....
for rescuing my post from absolute obscurity!;)

you're the only one so far, to respond....

you know, it's funny, but when i play the mastered tracks back on my monitors, i hear the vox completely clearly, and would'nt want em any louder...
so, maybe, i need new monitors?!
;)

well, i hooked up the palmer, and laid down 4 new guitar parts last night..
the palmer sounds pretty good...
high gain sounds...

but you're right, it just sounds too busy.

i can either:
automate the mix, and bring the best of all the parts backward and forward, as the mix dictates.....
or
i can retrack again (i don't mind!) and try to write individual lines that all work as a single rhythm track, which was my original intent.

except...

that's a lot of work!!
LOL

Really nice. I can't comment intelligently on the mix, but the song itself is really good in my opinion. I really like the vocals, reminds me of Yes, nice harmonies. Nice guitar tone too, what are you playing through?

wow...that is really well done. I love the crunch of the lower range of guitar sounds that you have on this. Also love the octaves at around 3:39. The vocals are performed and captured well. If anything maybe a bit dense and guitar-heavy mix-wise, but who cares, as the guitar sounds tremendous.

fatstrat
glad you liked it.....
i get that 'yes' comparison fairly often, tho honestly i don't hear it..
jon anderson is so much a better singer than i'll ever be.... but maybe we have a similar 'timbre'?

i'm playing a custom strat, with bill lawrence pickups, into a Barber Direct Drive SS pedal, thru a mesa boogie mark2b 60w head, into a roland 1x12 closed back cab with a celestion greenback.

it's miced with an ADK Hamburg large condenser mic, at about a foot away, slightly off axis.

the effects are a yamaha DG Stomp in the effects loop of the boogie...with another long repeat added and panned to the opposite side of the guitar track.

heatmiser
thanks for the kind words.
crunch tone, yep, that's what i was after.
but, without a muddy bottom, and with some clarity on the top, with any harshness.
since it's only a single guitar track, the only way i'd know how to make it less dense, would be to play less chords, and more single line fills.
i'm working on a new tracks now.....

I really dig your voice man. Sounds really unique.

I love the guitar tone too.

Good performance, drums sound good, good frequency space editing it sounds like.

What can I say, another A+ from Gonzo.

ziplock43
hey, glad you like it man..
it's gonna be tricky for me to get the same kind of mix with multiple guitar parts, as i got with this one...
there's a bit of room sound with this one, which adds to the 'bigness'.
thanks for listening.

thanks supercreep...
that made my day.

a brand new version of this, i just posted...
check it out.

i like it the best.

Back