Crawdad Goes Introspective

crawdad

Dammit, Jim, Shut Up!
This song was recorded a few years ago in response to the death of a friend of mine. The actual song was written and sent to his sister as part of an album which I recorded in dealing with my sense of loss. So its not a big toe tapper.

The recording was created using the following method. I recorded the vocal and guitar at once to ADAT. The mic was an At 4033, the guitar was a Martin, the preamp was an ART Tube MP. To that I added a bass and an electric piano. Also, background vocals which were also recorded with the At 4033. The mix was done to DAT using a Yamaha Promix1. Thats all I remember.

Mainly, I'd be interested in what you think of the recording and, to some extent, the song. I would guess that it might not be everybody's favorite genre, but who am I to say?

Anyway, I appreciate the listen. The Song is Nobody Knew Him at:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1522/singles.shtml

Somehow I find to comment on this song, specialy the song itself.

As far as recording, considering that it's one mic, you got agood mix to my ear. There seem to be some organ sounds oin the background but I'm not sure.

Onestly it's ok. It's not where I would say "wow how did he record that?" but it's nice and clean and heartfelt song delivery and playing style that realy counts on this one. And ofcourse the story behind the song.

it's one of those songs (IMHO) that you got to really stop and listen to, to get it. May be that's why no one replyed yet :)

It defenetly reinforced my desire to get a mahagony or rosewood guitar for finger picking, as I think my maple jumbo won't do well for that.

Good stuff, I'm going to listen againg
cheers

Oh ye! Did you get my PM?

I think the most important thing about this song is what I'm sure it means to you and others who loved your friend.

The acoustic is played/recorded very well and the harmonies blend beautifully.

I seemed to notice the vocal bobble at :59.

But overall I thought it was terrific.

Hey this is good stuff crawdad. Sorry about your friend.

Your voice sounds great. Real clean. And I like that mandolin sounding thing you do in the solo.

Very impressive! Great writing, performing and recording. I don't think I can even point out anything bad about it. I bet some country artist would pay a lot of money for that song actually.

I agree with the above comments..

Very clean and sweet tune.. Nice vocals.... I like the lyrics too..

Nice recording and song... I have no mix advice, but wouldnt mind some in the future.. If I had to find something to nit pick, it would be that the solo was a bit too crisp sounding IMOP.... but that would be looking hard for something to complain about..

great job..

later

sam (B.Sabb)

Wow. Really really good. Beautiful song and singing, and great acoustic guitars. Don't really like the electric piano in there, but it's pretty low in the mix so.... This is not normally the genre of music I listen to, but you do it really well, and the recording sounds great.

Macle

very nice..gorgeous guitar and equally nice singing. Nice, just very nice. this doesn't sound like some pup in a bedroom setup. nice...very nice...did I say ..nice, very nice.

I thank everyone for listening and responding. What I do is everyone who responds to a posted song of mine gets their name on a list and if I see those people posting, I try and return the favor. I listen to others stuff too, but I really appreciate the feedback and I'm sure others do too. I consider that a fair exchange.

Fed--I'll check my pm!

TripleM--yeah, I left that vocal thing in. At the time, the songs I was writing were more therapy than projected masters. Its hard to get a combined vocal with guitar thats perfect all the way with no overdubbing. I couldn't get the feel without doing the vocal, so...

samicide--you'll get some feedback from me on your stuff. Promise!

Thanks again everyone. I promise the next one will be totally different and not so droll!

crawdad i think this is a really nice tune...

have you ever heard of Darly Singletarry?

He's a country artist...has kind of a deep voice...this kind of reminded me of him.

I will just ditto what was said...about the harmonies being very tight...and the guitars sound really well recorded...

I am really digging the mandolin and the electric piano...I think they added a lot. how much does a decent mandolin cost? i could see that in some of my stuff...

the feel and delivery is there, nice work.

-Wes

good song man, of course you know I like your stuff but this was different than what I've heard before from you. Sounds like it should be on the radio. Good harmony too. Everything sounds very lifelike and present. You get a great vocal sound. You did your friend proud.

Hey crawdad,

Unfortunately couldn't get it working here at work, will absolutely try when I get home though, seems to have gotten a great response by my trusted BBS boys.

Laj

can't offer anymore suggestions on mixing aside from what others already have said. But, the tune is nice, and the passion is definitely there.

AL

Brilliant

To me, it was flawless and couldn`t go wrong. I thought that your singing was great and the harmony, perfect. But more importantly, the song, timeless mate.

Cooper

Man what a great song. I really could here Kenny Rogers singing this one. Not that I am saying you did bad. You have a great voice, but what I mean is that the song writing is that good. I like the electric piano. This song kind of makes me think of my dad. He is still alive, but thats what it makes me think of. I have to hold back the tears with this song. Very, very good.

Beezoboy

Back