Americana Cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit

Interesting take on this. I like it. How did you record your voice? Sounds good.
Cool tune.
Ed

Recording sounds great over here. No complaints at all about that. I absolutely dig this take on the song. Im really impressed man, sorry no advice but I loved it.

Take care
gary

Thanks for taking the time to listen and respond. THe vox were recorded simultaneously with the main guitar part. The vocals and harmonica mic was an MXL990, the guitar, slide, and mando mic was an MXL63VM, both running into a digi Mbox with the focusrite pre's. Software was ProTools LE. The vox have just a smidge of compression (Joe Meeks plugin), the harmonica and slide have a generous amount of Dverb applied.

I think I would like some more space between some of the parts, like the hello, hello, hello/with the lights out . . .

This is really nice. It reminds me a little bit of Tori Amos's version of this tune. Hers was really mellow as well, but it sounded a bit pretentious. (Then again, when doesn't she sound that way?)

This sounded sincere and authentic. I liked it quite a bit. Your voice sounded quite good, and I enjoyed your delivery.

Just curious ... did you change the chord progression on purpose? It definitely worked the way you did it, but I was just wondering.

I always enjoy when people do covers of Nirvana songs, because they tend to do them in a different style. And that in turn helps to highlight Kurt's songwriting even more. His songwriting definitely stands up on its own without the hardcore grunge machine behind it.

I'm not a huge Nirvana fan, but I think I would be if more of their songs were done in a different style, such as this. I know many people would say that's blasphemy, but I really do enjoy his songs much more without the punk attitude a lot of times.

Regarding your recording, I like the sound you got on everything. The only real criticism I have is that there's a few guitar strums toward the end that sound pretty behind the beat. Even still, I enjoyed it very much. Great job.

Just curious ... did you change the chord progression on purpose? It definitely worked the way you did it, but I was just wondering.
Yeah, I didn't think that I could get the sound I was going for with the four chord FAGC structure. I really wanted to get a more folk style so I tried Em, G, C trichord sort of structure.

I always enjoy when people do covers of Nirvana songs, because they tend to do them in a different style. And that in turn helps to highlight Kurt's songwriting even more. His songwriting definitely stands up on its own without the hardcore grunge machine behind it.
Yeah, I had a great time doing this one, it was really a blast re-imagining it.

Regarding your recording, I like the sound you got on everything. The only real criticism I have is that there's a few guitar strums toward the end that sound pretty behind the beat. Even still, I enjoyed it very much. Great job.
Yeah, there are two sections where the rythm guitar is off the beat pretty badly. I recorded the guitar part and the vox together and it didn't seem that off when I was playing it, but when I started dubbing in the mando and slide I could tell it was off. I decided to leave it for the time being just to see if the song worked as a concept.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and post.

awsome take bro... impressive...

im listenin on a damned laptop but the harmonica was a little loud (but i like the harmonica in the background a little more personally)

but man i shared this with 2 friends already and it will definitely be on my playlist from now on...

This is really good :eek:

I was expecting something more close to the original, but you managed to create a great version folky style. I am impressed, the voice and everything is nice. No complains
Great job :)

Hey this is great!

I went somewhere else during the 90's so this is a great intro to some of what I missed.

Great voice.

Perhaps my only comment is the dynamics in the first bunch of "Hellos". They stand out a little as not as good as your VOX on the rest (esp. the 4 repeats). The last bunch of "Hellos" and most of the rest are superb. Maybe you could try a cut and paste and -- if needed -- amplitude modulate from some of the others and see if it works better. (Yeah I have to resort to such scammy techniques :) because I can never punch back in and make it fit.)

Or you could just leave it. Overall, it's pretty cool.

Cheers
aspiring

That was truly awesome. I am gonna add that to my collection of really cool stuff to listen to at 4:30 in the morning!

Cool stuff man!
It would be cool to see you come out of your shell a little bit more, vocally speaking.

This is awesome. I was a huge fan of Nirvana in my pre to early teens, and I have heard lot of Nirvana covers over the years, and every single one I have heard sucked. Apart from this one. Its the only good Nirvana cover I have ever heard, and its more than good, its excellent. I heard so much feeling in that tune it almost choked me up. :) Nice job :)

The reply's are so, well, awesome. It is a problematic recording and has some isues, the positive response has really made my day and encouraged me. Thanks for taking the time to listen.

I was expecting something completely different but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. You did an amazing job.

very cool man. i was'nt expecting this at all. nice job. you already know what to fix so I won't comment on that. you should be proud of yourself for this one. :)

Really nice Brian. Your vocals are always good... the guitar and mando sound great on this one too.

Might benefit from some tweaking of the harmonica track as it's a little high in the mix and maybe a touch strident.

Tim

Back