3 clips

suprstar

It aint ez being green
I FINALLY got an interface now, so I just busted my multitrack mixing cherry this week... I made a few ~1 minute clips of the last band practice, it's recorded live, everything is DI'ed into the board, including v-drums. The vox were re-tracked with a really shitty mic.

It's new songs we're practicing, so I know the performance isn't polished.. I'm more interested in comments from a production standpoint. There's a before and after of each clip. The first was an initial mix I played in my car, boombox, PC, monitors, home theater, everywhere. I tweaked based on that bc I dont know my monitors well enuf to know how they translate, I trust other sources better for now..

http://www.supr-star.com/demo

Lemme know what you think,

I FINALLY got an interface now, so I just busted my multitrack mixing cherry this week... I made a few ~1 minute clips of the last band practice, it's recorded live, everything is DI'ed into the board, including v-drums. The vox were re-tracked with a really shitty mic.

It's new songs we're practicing, so I know the performance isn't polished.. I'm more interested in comments from a production standpoint. There's a before and after of each clip. The first was an initial mix I played in my car, boombox, PC, monitors, home theater, everywhere. I tweaked based on that bc I dont know my monitors well enuf to know how they translate, I trust other sources better for now..

http://www.supr-star.com/demo

Lemme know what you think,

Welcome to the multitrack mixing darkside ;)

I gave a quick listen through headphones at work and here's what jumped out... (Take these all as minor critiques, none of these are "icepicks" in the ears by any means) :)

Meantime - The reverb in #2 fattened things up in a great way... Love the imporvement on the bass guitar. The snare seemed like it had more 'crack' in #1 but I'm a drummer so I'm always looking for shit like that ;) Vox in #2 might be a little too 'out front', but again, I was listening with headphones.

Man In The Box - As with the first song, loved the bass tones in #2 as well as how the guitars and vox sit in the mix... The lead sounds like it might need to be more out front, (as does the 2nd vocalist in the chorus) and again, I'm more partial to the snare sound in #1.

Rage - Nice blend all the way 'round... At first, it seemed like the right side of the stereo field in #2 was lacking in comparison to mix #1, but I think it was just my right ear adjusting to how you panned the guitars listening to the two mixes back to back (again, headphones). After putting some time between the two, the 2nd one stands fine on it's own stereo-wise...

Sounds like you're getting a handle on your mixing environment...

Good job! :)

Thx for the input, I got those #2 mixes in my car and I REALLY dont like em! I use my car for reference cuz I have a good system in there and I listen to more music in there than everywhere else combined, I know the sound perfectly. I swear, the tweaks were minor, I could hardly tell the difference.. The drums in MITB are WAY too loud, esp the lower mids on those tom rolls.. And the vocals sound cheesy.. I tried to put a ton of reverb to mask the shitty tracking, didnt work... The singing in Meantime is too loud. Rage I actually like better, but the guitars need retracking, thats some sloppy playing... I wish I could mix in my car, that'd save me a lot of time!

Back