2 heavy rock songs remixed and vocals redone

Myx62

I have a new site cause IUMA sucks and uploaded 2 songs, Shadows falling and I can't. Ive totally redone the vocals and some guitars. Although Im lookin for a female singer, I have really been workin on my vocals, and even started to do more solos like the old days. I would like to hear if the songs are any good and my new site- http:// www.indielaunch.com/dreamstorm
I just want to thank those whom have pointed out things I couldnt hear after mix burn out.........
Myx

Last edited:
Hey myx,
.......sound really woofy. .......like its being played live in a very large room (gymnasium). LOTSA verb on the vocals......little too much imo. I cant distinguish the vocs. It sounds like too much verb on everything. I like the drum programming, and the guit chops sound good............ .......just needs a good cleaning.

welcome to the forum.

btw.... you'll get a lot more responses is the listener doesnt have to "sign in". try nowhere radio, simple and clean w/ no bs. .....its real popular around here.:)

g

I agree. I felt sorry for you, being ignored and all. I was gonna take a listen, but I get way to much spam as is. Giving out your email address these days is just asking for it.

Yep, we're all pretty paranoid around here - don't like to sign in or register to be able to listen. I did anyhow though.

I listened to the first tune on the page.

I agree with Guernica, very "woofy." Sounds like there's way too much low mid in the mix. I haven't run it through an analyzer or anything, but it needs more clarity on the whole. Your drum programming sounds very natural to me - and you have some excellent chops going on in the guitar line. The mix doesn't do the musicianship justice here.

Also, (and this has less to do with the mix, and more to do with writing - usually we just stick to mix around here) have you fully defined the melody line for the lyrics? You sound unsure of where you want to go at times - a little more time spent on that will tighten it up.

A short recap: good musicianship, but a mix that doesn't let it shine.

I wasnt aware of that problem with indielaunch. So they are like mp3.com huh. Well I finally got thru to IUMA and they are working with me now so maybe they arn't that bad.
I will check out nowhereradio also. Thank you guys for checkin it out. Thank you also for your feelings about the intrusivness of Indielaunch. I always hated mp3.com doing that and I never have downloaded anything from mp3.com because of it.

Guernica, my vocals suck. Take the verb away and they suck worse. Especially compared to yours.....Woffy, Can I ask what type of monitors you are using and maybe some minor details of your listening enviornment. Headphones? etc. Thanks...

Jitter, I am going to have a female redo the vocal tracks so Yes Im unsure of how the melody should go at this point. As far as the mix goes, I guess it depends on the system its being listened to. MP3's dont do a mix much justice. Streamin audio is a joke....
Im 40 and maybe my ears are gettin real fried. Ive noticed no one like's many compressed versions in the home recording world. I will stop compressing my final mix's for a while.
Myx

Ive signed up at nowhereradio. Ive uploaded 1 song-Shadows falling there.http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1929&alid=-1
I used to be a part time web site designer. I got out of it 6 months ago cause it was getting in the way of my music. Its very time consuming and so is music. Im not sure if I should of let my site go to let someone else handle it. It hasent been a good experience so far. Im wondering how much time I've saved. Im pissed about the bs indielaunch has pulled..... Im tired of wasting so much time with emails and uploads. I will see how well nowhereradio works. Thanks for the tip.
Myx

hey man...
cool yer signed up at nowhere...99% of evryone on here is ..it will toally increase yer responses...

man ...those drums are wicked...programmed?.....yep.....i agree with the "reverb"..comments...but i can undersatnd if you arent comfortable with your voice....i know im not....but i have found "commiting"...to the singing...i.e....just sing it like you are the best damn singer in the world....will really help ...it did me...i mean im not any better but my mediocre..-ness..comes thru alot clearer..:D ...cool guitar tone on this...shred-ready.....at 3:38..gitr licks were pretty nice ...man if you could find a way to be o.k. with the singing..this would really pick up.....try it...;)

thanks
jamal..

Jamal, thanx for the listen and input. I redid another song I will soon upload on nowhere and I used my new sm 57 for the vocals and found some better effects plus I did some harmonizing, so Im really trying to improve my vocals. For a while I didnt care cause I have a female singer thats going to redo most of my stuff, but Im at a point that I want to improve my vocals anyway.....All the years of gigin and I never sang nor did I think I could. 6 months ago I decided to at least try. I have surprised myself , but I know I still suck. The reason I never sang was I cant sing and play guitar at the same time live. Ive been working on that also....
Thanks to everyone for the advice and pointing out what works and what doesnt in the music site world.....I should of known better.
Myx

Hey Myx, I dig this feel, very alive and driving. Your vocals are pretty cool, a couple lessons and I bet you'd be a fine singer. I agree with the big room comments, you sound like you're on stage across the gym floor. Otherwise the sound is cool and I think the mix in general is even and works for this, maybe the drums were a tad loud, but I have crappy speakers. Great guitar playing BTW. Good job overall :D

You need a vocoder. There's obviously some mixing issues, but the music has merit. Although it makes me have flashbacks of when I was 15 or so.

Thanx Barometer for the encouragment. Im trying to break myself of the reverb habit. The other song I just put up I Can't I think has my best sounding vocals so far. Mostly chorus, track doubling and offset slightly. I also used a SM57. I used a 50 dollar Peavy for Shadows-lol.

Sub, I dont mean to sound stupid, but whats a vocoder?
Yes, Im having a midlife crisis(Just turned 40) so I want to return to my youth as much as I can, without the drugs of course-lol. So Can people tell Im Old by the music Im doing? I have all types of stuff. From Jazz, Pop, easylistening, etc. Its just my favorite is Heavy Rock Metal type stuff to play, but I prefer to listen to soft classic rock stuff like Fleetwood mac, Old Heart and Zep, Rush, Styx, etc. My favorite reference CD is Steely dan AJA....
Myx

the tunes were decent, and the guitar playing was good, but there is too much reverb on everything.. there is also not much midrange.. like too much of a smiley face e.q. maybe.. I don't know... too much reverb is destroyin the sound.. also, did you use one of those stereo enhancing devices? it has that sound that is almost too wide for its own good.. sounds over compressed too..lose some of that reverb on the vocals.. reverb doesnt help.. I tend to drown my own vocals so take it for what its worth.. these tunes need to be completely remixed and dried off imhop.. the tunes are worth the effort..

B. Sabbath- Originally the song was too centered, so of course I spread it out to get more stereo maybe too much. Im workin on gettin the verb out of my vocals. I purposly take the mids out cause I have always felt most music had too much in it. Just my preference. I have always EQed music that way, so why not my own. Is it such a bad thing? Yeah Im backing off compressing my final mixes for a while, until I can do it right-lol. Im going to soon have a female redo the vocals. I probably wont need so much doctoring up for her voice....Im still going to redo my vocals more dry though. I have plenty of room for xtra tracks.
Thankyou for your critique
Myx

shadows falling remix

i agree with everything said, sound's very "washed out", for lack of a better term. but i love the song!! very cool stuff.

thanks

peace

rick

Thanx guys for the input. I got a good balance here to handle gettin beat up. Thanx Fender and I appreciate the thumbs up Misterque.....

Back