Yamaha Monitors or JBL Monitors?

I know you have a specific question, and hopefully people will chime in who actually know these particular speakers, and maybe that'll be helpful. But you also need to keep in mind that whoever does that is probably going to be giving you their thoughts on the only monitors they've ever owned, lol. One guy may "LOVE" his Yammies because he's never mixed on anything else.

All I can say is that I prefer having nearfields with 8" woofers. They'll go down lower, and they'll produce the stuff above 45Hz more accurately...and they'll fake the stuff below 45Hz well enough for you to hear what needs to be done!!!

But I know plenty of people mix with 5" woofers...I just can't.

I have owned some JBL 8" monitors before...they sounded great, which was a problem. They were very "flattering" in the low end, but only at specific frequencies, so depending on what key the song was in, my mixes would either be really bass light or really bass heavy. Drove me nuts until I figured it out.

I'm not saying those JBL monitors would do that. I have no idea.

If you want to see a wider cross-section, you might run a search on Gearslutz...i know they have several epic monitor threads with reviews in the "low end" section of that board.

I will offer up an alternative. The 2nd Generation of KRK Rokit 8's were getting really good reviews, and I picked up a pair on MF awhile back. I wasn't expecting much, but I couldn't be happier with these monitors. Front firing ports have helped with the low end decisions a whole bunch. I already wrote a poor man's review of them around here somewhere, but the bottom line is that whatever changes they made in the "G2" series are apparently fantastic. You can get them used from MF for only $20 more per speaker than what you're looking at paying. Look here:

KRK 8" G2 Monitors @ MF

One more thing...monitors are very personal, so it's good to get a kind of a wide cross-section of people that like a product so you have the best chance possible of being pleased. Gearslutz is a good resource, searching here might do you some good too. I haven't seen a bad review yet of the KRK G2's, and I frankly can't believe they're selling them as cheaply as they are, but don't listen to any one guy who either loves or hates a speaker.

Good luck.

If you live in an area that carries both, then listen to them both... before doing so, tell everybody at the store to SHUT UP! Especially the sales person :D

Trust your ears.

Thanks, ya i might go for the krk RPG8 G2's But i dont know if they will be to bassy or not in my 12 by 12 ft room.

The size and quality of the monitor you buy will not matter 1/10th as much as your room. What I'm saying is, no matter what size woofer you end up with, a room that small is going to just about require using bass traps. It's not incredibly expensive to do, but if you live with somebody else or are renting and don't have a dedicated room for mixing, then sometimes you really cant just throw bass traps up easily. But if you possibly can, you should.

The size of the subwoofer just allows a lower frequencies to be heard. Most 5" monitors don't really produce well below about 54Hz. The KRK's are flat down to 43Hz, I think...and while they're not flat below that frequency, they will still let you know if you've got some gnarly subsonic stuff going on.

8 Inch speakers won't bounce off of the walls any worse than 5 inch speaker...they'll just do it over a wider area. Personally, if I have a huge bump in a mix at say 45Hz, I'd rather have it bouncing off the walls in my small room out of an 8" monitor than not knowing about it!!!

But bass traps..you'll really be benefited a whole lot. I avoided sound treatment for a long time, but once I did it, I instantly regretted not doing it years earlier. Not only does it let you mix a whole lot faster, but about the 3rd time you do a mix that sounds great in your car the first time, it gives you a TON of confidence and allows you to take a few more risks in your mixing, because you know what you're hearing is actually how it sounds...especially with those KRK's.

I don't work for them or anything, lol...just really happy with that product. They also sell 5" and 6" Rokits that are cheaper, but while I assume they are of the same quality, I haven't personally tried them, and I still believe a good 8" full range speaker is of much more use in mixing than smaller nearfields with a sub.

Well actually i have carpet on all my walls up to the ceiling. does that help?

That'll help more with diffusion than bass buildup, but it's a good start. The cool thing is that if you've got carpet running all the way up your walls, I can safely assume that putting in bass traps won't be protested by anyone, lol.

I tend to type too much, so I'm gonna' try to be SUPER brief about bass traps (and possibly wrong). Bass builds up most noticeably in the corners of rooms...Turn whatever system you have up pretty loud and stand in the middle of the room...then go stand in a corner. You will most likely feel a big difference in the bass.

I'm talking about putting in bass traps in the four corners of your room. There are a million thread around here about bass traps, how to make them yourself, how to install them, etc. It's not hard. Multitrack recording and mixing in an untreated room is hard...bass traps are easy.

**end of very short "what chris knows about bass traps" section**

By the way, I took some time and read the reviews of the smaller KRK monitors on MF, and they seem to be loved by the people who bought them. Of course, you never know if each of those people are deaf or buying their first monitors ever or something, but as a general trend, I wouldn't be scared to pull the trigger on those 5" KRK G2's. I can almost promise you that if you buy the KRK's, you will get used to them very quickly, and they will not limit you by being hyped or artificial. In short...if you get a mix to sound good on them, that mix will likely sound good everywhere else. But no matter how small your room is, I'm still pulling for you to get the 8" speakers. Somebody may come along and say I'm nuts for recommending that size speaker for your size room, and they may be right, but I'm sticking with my theory until somebody says otherwise, lol.

Awesome, ya i use to have some krk rp5's and i felt like i needed more bass but they were really great monitors. Now im just hoping the rp8's are even better!

Back