What monitors do you use?

What monitors do you use?

• Total voters
I remember that I powered the NS10's with a Hafler 75 watt x 2 amp but I dont remember which model... I definately would not recommend that specific amp, although as I said I dont remember which model it was.
The TA 1600?

What was your complaint with it?

Mine has been flawless powering a pair of Event 20/20s.

Tapco 8

I like the sound of these better than I did my Alesis Monitor 1 MKII but I recently heard the Yamaha HS80M and was really impressed with those.
The Tapco-8's are new to me and I have only mixed 2 albums on them but now that I have the studio completed I'm getting use to their sound in a new environment. Time will tell!

At home;
KRK Rokit 8's (no sub)

At work;
Genelec 1032 for LCR,
Genelec 8050 for SL, SR
Genelec 7271 for LFE

Yamaha NS 10's for nearfield
A Sony TV for itty bitty.

Dynaudio BM15's for me, for mixing and mastering purposes they are fantastic, not bios to any frequency, nice and flat.

Event ASP6 here connected to a nice and older and nice upgraded Amek/Neve 24-track console. These monitors are well suited for the size of my control room.

No need to have 8" or 15" woofer in a smaller control room.

Same specs as the ASP8. But with a 6" woofer instead of a 8".

I used to have Dynaudio BM15, but they were too boomy for the size of my room.

Event monitors are very well detailed and mixes translate very well.

Also had a pair of NS-10M which I used sometimes to check my mixes. Especially the reverbs. BTW, what would be the best clean amp to drive them? (I'm planning on buying a used pair again)

Too bad Event was bought by Rode and that there is no support or spare parts available anymore.

The best piece of advice I can give is to get to know your monitors well. There is no good or bad monitors, just bad ears and bad habits.

I'm not sure if what I'm using can be classed as 'monitors'. I amp with an ancient NAD 3020i, retired from lounge duty and is now currently feeding a pair of JPW ML-10s. Great!

Dr. V

We've got a shop over here called
Studiospares and as well as selling lots of stuff, they make some of their own stuff. Back in March, I invested in a pair of their own monitors, called Seiwin http://www.studiospares.com/Studio-Monitors/Studiospares-Seiwin-Powered-Monitors-Pair/invt/248030. I've learned some important things since joining HR, and there was alot of talk about monitors so when I came unexpectedly into some cash, I thought I'd get a pair. I had previously used my Gale stereo speakers and they're actually OK but I was curious. I've noticed a difference, without a doubt. They may be a pair of cheap shitty monitors but I don't know that. I like them and I'm glad I have them. I guess I'm like the kid that doesn't know enough to come in out of the rain.

DynAudio BM15As.

Expensive, but detailed as hell and loud, if necessary.

I picked them because, more than any other speaker (except for Focal Twins with dual Focal Sub-woofers at $8K for the rig), they made my favorite commercially produced material sound incredibly good, while my self-produced material sounded horrible. I figured the larger the discrepancy, the more useful the monitors would be.

Back