What monitors do you use?

What monitors do you use?

• Total voters
i use cheap alesis m1 320 usb monitors. they sound great when i playback audio from my mac via the usb. but when i monitor and playback through cubase (using jacks from interface to monitors) the sound is noticeably less in volume, this has nothing to do with my mix because when i export the mixdown and playback through usb it is louder.

any ideas

dave

I use JVC bookshelf speakers as nearfields, they have a Bass Port, a 1 inch tweeter and a 5 inch woofer. Believe it or not, they're pretty flat speakers. Got them for 12 dollars at Goodwill! I also use Harmon/Kardon's for room speakers and a 3rd set of vintage floorstanding Cerwin Vega's with 15" woofers. If it doesn't sound good on those, it won't sound good anywhere. I've been listening to those speakers since I was 4 years old so I KNOW what they sound like!

I'm using Mackie MR8s and Warfedale Diamond 7.1 monitors. The MR8s can be a little flattering, so the warfedales are great for comparisson.

I've been using Tapco S-8s with a Tapco SW-10 sub. I really love the way the system sounds, but often feel it doesn't always translate well. Of course, this could be a function of my completely untreated listening space.

The Mackie HR824s (first generation, not the MKii) I've used at school always sounded great, so I've considered picking up a used pair of those now that the MKii is pushing first gen's price down a bit.

Yamaha NS10s seems to have a great reputation when it comes to translating, but then there's the question of what amp do you drive them with. Anyone have any opinions?

I've been using Tapco S-8s with a Tapco SW-10 sub. I really love the way the system sounds, but often feel it doesn't always translate well. Of course, this could be a function of my completely untreated listening space.

The Mackie HR824s (first generation, not the MKii) I've used at school always sounded great, so I've considered picking up a used pair of those now that the MKii is pushing first gen's price down a bit.

Yamaha NS10s seems to have a great reputation when it comes to translating, but then there's the question of what amp do you drive them with. Anyone have any opinions?

Yea I have the first generation 824s and I agree... regarding an amp, I remember that I powered the NS10's with a Hafler 75 watt x 2 amp but I dont remember which model... I definately would not recommend that specific amp, although as I said I dont remember which model it was.

I just got a set of Yamaha HS50M's on Thursday. Now I need to try to get use to using them because I've never mixed on monitors before. Wish me luck.

I have a set of Yamaha HS80Ms that I like becasue they don't sound great in my room (they're too big). However, having grown used to them, once I get a solid sounding mix on these speakers, it generally sounds good on most other things.

I got a7s they are all right, nothing to jump a hundred feet and say woah baby.
Luckily I didnt pay a penny for them, someone near by me invested ten grand in a studio and doesnt know how to use it so he is hiring me to be the house engineer. He is gonna give me the keys to the place. jackpot!!

Jbl 4408 studio monitors & behringer true sound ribbon monitors are my tools!

I also use behringer powered true sound ribbon monitors!
And I have JBL Studio Monitors 4408 which have given me a consistent flat response sound for over a decade! Monitors are super important but the environment they are in is just as important!

Back