What to mix and what not to mix?

mutantturtle182

Hey all,

My band members and I have decided to put together an album, so what we planned on doing was recording all the tracks ourselves in Pro Tools (drums/guitars/vox/etc) and then just bring the tracks up to the studio we recorded our demo in and have the engineer mix and master the tracks.

My question is...

Should I be be doing any kind of "pre-mixing" I guess? Like EQ some of the stuff myself? Or just leave it all for him to do. I understand the basics on how to use compressors/gates/EQ so I can get a decent sound myself but he can do way way better. I'm thinking it'd just be a waste of time since he'd prolly end up changing some (if not all) of the stuff anyway?

Also, I am using Melodyne for the vocals, I know he has it as well.
Should I keep the plug in running or should I check the vox then remove melodyne afterwards so if he needs to do anything he can and then he can just re-add melodyne afterwards?

We're only doing 1 or 2 songs so we can kinda try this out and see how it works, I guess it's kinda trial and error till we know for sure what we're doing.

I know a lot of you guys are engineers yourself so I figured I'd ask and see what you guys prefer/suggest, pre-mixed stuff or raw tracks or either or.

Thanks in advance!

Speaking for myself, I would usually have someone prep the files as unaltered as possible. Reason being, the engineer might have a better means of doing what you want. So unless you have fx that are super specific to your project, it's better to leave the rest to the engineer.

Back