Studio Monitors and REVIEWS..

gkowal

guys i was thinking about all those STUDIO MONITOR REVIEWS.. A lot of websites has REVIEWS on speakers, but should we listen to them?? Funny thing is that one ALMOST ALL THE SPEAKERS there are MIXED reviews. NOW there are mixed reviews because THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO ARE TRYING TO ADVERTISE their company?? OR because people who test them have no clue what a FLAT RESPONCE IS , OR because a lot of people don`t compare them to others but rather get them, turn them on in their ROOMS and play them, then complain about WEAK LOWS and other bullshit.. Maybe they don`t realize that the sound not only depends on SPEAKER itself but also HOW AND WHERE IT is located in the ROOM.. So now i`m thinking is there even a point of looking at STUDIO MONITOR REVIEWS on websites ??? i `m not sure...

ANYBODY KNOWS A WEBSITE that has comparisons of speaker BUT WITHOUT somebody advertising them??? AND comparing them in the same ROOM ??

Welcome to the real world. It takes a lot of patience to determine where truth lies, and sometimes it's "no more than the closest you are able to get to truth".

1. No monitor is perfect. If it were, we'd all have a set.

2. Listeners are frequently seduced by hyped sounds that have no relation to reality. [This is totally distinct from sales "hype".] You want your songs to sound like the hits do on the radio? Fine: compress the life out of 'em, add fake hf "excitement", and off you go.

3. The only way you can determine which is hype and which is truth is by listening, and even then you will be fooled.

4. So what's left? A GOOD monitor is one that you can trust to translate to a real environment. Sometimes that means listening on lesser systems, like boomboxes, car players and living room stereos. Our ears are so easily fooled [yes, I recognize there are some golden ears out there, but you and me don't own 'em] that the only reasonable strategy is to listen on the "reference" monitors (that is, the ones we spent the most money on), then correct and refine our impressions with a bunch of other sources.

Naturally, you can spend a fortune trying to bypass this procedure, but this is the way it is for most of us.

Back