Reverb - hardware vs software

sync

Pending
I did a search on reverb plugins and I got the impression that most people think that hardware reverb is better than software. Isn't the actual processing in a hardware reverb unit done by software in the unit? If that's the case, I don't see why this would be better than a software only reverb.

Yo Sync:

In a hardware reverb box of quality, you can tweak the algorithms and store your creation within the box.

My Yam 2816 has good reverb and it can be tweaked but, although I can save the tweak, I can't store it as well as the outboard reverb box.

I have an Alesis midiverb and a Lexicon outboard and the built=in reverb with the 2816 so I've got lots of choices.

Personally, I think the warmest reverb stuff is made by Yamaha but it depends on the person doing the mix. Everyone has different ears --- some better than others.

Green Hornet :D :p :D

I rather hear my TC Reverb plugin than a cheap Lexicon. A hardware effects unit is a lot lower on my priority list then a decent console and a recorder.
With latency being low you can easily setup an old machine and make it a dedicated effects box.

Just my opinion.

Herwig

The reason reverb plugins don't sound as good, generally, is because the designers are making them so they aren't so resource-taxing on your processor, with the sound-quality being the sacrifice.

The way some people mix, there could be as many as 20 different reverbs and/or other effects plugins going on in their sessions, and most users aren't too keen on having their sessions crash in the middle of their project.

Think about it . . . your computer has a million other things going on, while a hardware reverb's processor only has one chore: processing reverb.

I use a Lexicon PCM hardware reverb and it is definitely better than the Software plugin, easy to tweak and when you have two dedicated chips runnig the effect, you will get a better result and also can be used it for live uses.....thats why people think twice about software plugins, but some are really nice as the original units.

"Isn't the actual processing in a hardware reverb unit done by software in the unit? If that's the case, I don't see why this would be better than a software only reverb.
"

you are exactly right...BUT the problem is the same algos arent being used by plug reverbs.

The people who make plugs for the most part are douche head, NON audio types, who simply copy existing DSP code right out of a book ( usually THIS book : http://www.dspguide.com/ ) and do NOT think about things for themselves.

They revel in making hi tech buck rodgers user interfaces to show off to their friends, spending all the time on pretty colors instead of anything to do with sound. You'll notice that plug reverbs have VERY few adjustable parameters compared to hardware ones. Indeed they feel that reverbs should be VERY simple. One guy from a company that starts with a W and ends with an S told me " lots of parameters are the sign of a poor design ". Oh really?
Idiots

Ill take tons of adjustable parameters ANY day over the one or two in most plug verbs. If you dont want to make it complicated, DONT touch the complicated buttons simple as that.

The best examples are companies like tc who make both hardware and software. The software is obviously just simple allpass and comb filters on regular old delays. This is why plug reverbs are easy to get " plate-ish " sounds but so hard to get anything else. The hardware on the other hand uses some SERIOUS algorhythms that are obviously the product of a DSP designer AND someone who possesses EARS at the same time. Little thought given to looks, everything given to sound.

It is said a lot that good reverb algos would take lots of CPU, but we gotta remember that the average cpu of today is 2 million times the power or more of that used in most digital reverbs, and WAY WAY WAY more memory.

Anyhow if you wanna bug the guys who make this stuff, just get on IRC, EFFnet network and join #music-dsp . Im trying to learn to program so Im up on there a llot bugging them

As for SIR and Accoustic mirror, theyre AWESOME, but munch CPU. Go to the noisevault site for lots of impulses for these two plugs

Surely somebody, that has the wherewithall to sit down and code a user plugin such as reverb should have their shit together enough to know what would be expected of such from the general population in the usage of the plugin. So, which one out there is it?
I'm just familiar with a couple such as what you described, that are pretty sucky and that just cant match up to even a decent 16 bit Korg or Yamaha.

we all oughtta get on that channel one day and let em know how we feel!

Even universal audio is the same way, feeling that plug reverbs are already too complicated

Back