Reverb...Delay...Or Both

SeekingTheTruth

So I am trying to get a more set in vocal sound in my mix. I recorded my band (guitar, bass, drums) before and added the vocals in after.

The vocals sounded a bit dry and out of place in comparison with the other instruments. After looking around here I got some tips about using a reverb effects channel which I would put all the tracks into and also using delay to cuz some seperation.

So my question: should I use both of these or just one? And can someone give me a little more knowledge on these two?

And of course if you have an additional solution to dry obvious over dubbed vocals then please, suggest away.

Basically I dont know too much and am looking for some help.

Other specs:

Recording with: a stand alone device. The Korg D1600
Mics:Sm57 and Sm58
Room: terrible...(cement... Rectangle... Wide... A basement lol)
Genre: rock, reggae, ska, punk

Thanks!

-Seeking the Truth

Without hearing the actual mix...it's hard to say which to use (or both) and how much.

I don't use delay on my vocals, just reverb, but then, there are all kinds of reverb flavors, so again, it's song dependent, though I tend to go with a medium plate reverb on most vocals because it isn't too washed out but still has the reverb vibe.

AFA making all the other tracks also wet, and then needing to do the same to the vocals...you may want to reevaluate that approach, because you might end up with a mushy mix.
The only things I use reverb on these days in most mixes are my lead vocals and my lead instrument(s). If I split up tracks L/R, I will use delay to offset them a tad (I do that mostly with organ tracks)...but my drums have enough wetness form the room sound, my bass I leave pretty much dry or add just the smallest amount of verb to match the room sound of the drums...and rhythm guitars are usually dry because I'll record more than one set, and then pan them apart.

I like the mix of dry, delayed, room, slightly wet and wet elements. When combined with careful panning and levels...I can get nice wide and deep mixes, which is the kind of mixes I tend to go for most times. I just like that larger than life sound (if I can pull it off in a mix) rather than the dry/tight/in-your-face sound....but everyone has their flavor. :)

I just got into using a slapback delay on vocals and other tracks. I've been timing them as 8th notes. It seems to add a bit of presence that allows me to pull the vocal down into the mix more without losing the words.

Back