Reverb on the bounce down

Ry Adams

I am using a Tascam mini disc 4 track and am beginning to bounce some things down. Some of the bouncing tracks need reverb others no.
My question is, Should I go ahead and apply the reverb to the necessary tracks or wait to apply it to the final mix? I will be overdubbing vocals and leads primarily.
Thanks
Ry

Hi Ry:\\

For the most part, I think adding the reverb in the final mix works best; you kind of audition your final cut on the monitors and make adjustments/pan/EQ/volume, and reverb.

Like drums usually are fine without reverb; the reverb is already in the drum machine on many loops and samples.

And, something funny usually happens when you bounce reverb -- it may lose its quality.

So, experiment as you may but most folks add and tweak the reverb in the final mix to whatever.

Green Hornet

Here's something else to consider...it might be a little off topic, though. It applies mainly to percussive instruments. I noticed if I recorded a dry drum track or drum machine and added 'verb to it and made it's own track out of this, unless the mix on the 'verb track is nearly or at 100% wet, you can't mix the dry and the wet sound to taste. The transient of the wet hit is delayed a bit and I think either comb filters or something whack happens because the initial dry hit is spread out apparently. It sounds really ugly. So if you kids are doing a dedicated 'verb track for your percussive sounds go with 100% mix or else that 'verb track IS your drum track!!!! Take Care and Keep Breathing....Dave

Back