Professional Mastering

plainrat

Any veterans out there with an opinion on a mastering house that does consistently great work achieving the Big album sound?

plainrat said:
Any veterans out there with an opinion on a mastering house that does consistently great work achieving the Big album sound?

Sounds like you may be looking for a "magic bullet". If a mix is crap even Bob Ludwig is only going to make it sound like polished crap.

Great masters come from good/great mixes.

I used the word "proffesional". My request stands.

And I said nothing of the quality of my mix. A PRO would assume the mix is good and would be confident in improving it. Again...I want a vets opinion.

Generally speaking if the mastering engineer is having to "improve" on your mix it wasn't mixed well. The master should sound like the original mix, only more transparent, slightly larger, and more polished... but still 98% of what went in.

I use MassiveMastering for everything we do at the studio. Consistently great results.

Blue Bear Sound said:
um, skippy............. Tom at The Mastering House IS a pro, so you DID get a "vets" opinion............

skippy? lol thats it blue bear, lay the paw down on his ass one time. just like the pros have said, if your mix is shit, all the mastering engineer can do is coat it with febreeze

plainrat said:
And I said nothing of the quality of my mix. A PRO would assume the mix is good and would be confident in improving it. Again...I want a vets opinion.

Sorry, but the fact that you mentioned BIG ALBUM SOUND set off alarms just like "radio ready" does with me. It was not a commentary on your mixes, which I would reserve judgement on until I've heard them.

Your request just seems a bit naive as Big Album Sound" (whatever that means) doesn't exist unless the prerequisites have been met.

I've been doing this stuff for approx 15 years now, for some very well known acts. If that isn't a vet please educate us.

hey speaking of which....mastering house...on your rates...is that a flat rate of 400 for 10 songs? is that one pass or will you actually listen to it lol

masteringhouse said:
Sorry, but the fact that you mentioned BIG ALBUM SOUND set off alarms just like "radio ready" does with me. It was not a commentary on your mixes, which I would reserve judgement on until I've heard them.

Your request just seems a bit naive as Big Album Sound" (whatever that means) doesn't exist unless the prerequisites have been met.

I've been doing this stuff for approx 15 years now, for some very well known acts. If that isn't a vet please educate us.

oh come on mastering house...we all know that vets have a house overlooking malibu, obnoxiously rich/spoiled children and drive bentleys...oh yeah and you are supposed to come with your own theme music and be able to create a "big" album sound and have it radio ready by the end of a 30 minute episode on MTV

distortedrumble said:
as a matter of fact...i gave you some rep power because of that...I think I'll call a few people skippy today

My rep power button for Bruce is tapped out ...

Thanks sporty! :)

hey mastering house...another question...can you try to type in a pronunciation for your last name...I'd hate to screw it up if i ever called you. my guess would be "vOl-puh-chelly"

distortedrumble said:
hey speaking of which....mastering house...on your rates...is that a flat rate of 400 for 10 songs? is that one pass or will you actually listen to it lol

They are mastered individually. I don't believe in one pass mastering even for a reduced rate. I also provide samples of the individual songs if requested before sending out the final master for sign-off.

Yeah I realize my rates are fairly low I've been debating on raising them. Just trying to keep them within the budget of the indie artist and in line with some of the other facilities in my area. We don't serve doughnuts and coffee during a mastering session, so our rates can be a bit lower than some of the larger facilitites.

distortedrumble said:
hey mastering house...another question...can you try to type in a pronunciation for your last name...I'd hate to screw it up if i ever called you. my guess would be "vOl-puh-chelly"

Perfect pronunciation!

Must have dated an Italian chick somewhere in your past :)

ah, gotcha...400 each....so I'm lookin at $4k for a full 10 song cd. i can already tell you that my problem is bass and too many things in the midrange.

distortedrumble said:
ah, gotcha...400 each....so I'm lookin at $4k for a full 10 song cd. i can already tell you that my problem is bass and too many things in the midrange.

No, $400 for 10 songs flat rate. If I made $4k per album I would include the doughnuts.

masteringhouse said:
No, $400 for 10 songs flat rate. If I made $4k per album I would include the doughnuts.

OOOOOH OK!....looks like I'll get a cd mastered for the first time for christmas lol

Back