Need help with mixer setup

RTWmaniac

Hi everyone,
I'm a beginner trying to do some recording. I have four keyboards plugged into a Behringer Xenyx 1222 mixer. Basically I want to use two outputs on the mixer, one for my monitor, and one for my USB interface. So far I've been able to get signals on the PHONES/CNTRL output and the MON output. Though it seems that the MON gives a much lower output signal than the PHONES/CNTRL. Should I still use MON for monitor and the other for the USB interface?

Also, I'd like to be able to send from my laptop back into the mixer so I can monitor my mixes. Sometimes I'm able to do this but sometimes I have problems (e.g. it just stops working, or I get all kinds of weird feedback). Can I get away with doing this or do I need separate monitors for my laptop?

Thanks a lot for any help!

If I'm reading the manual right (which is hard to know because it's the worst manual I've seen since, well, the last one by Behringer I looked at) you can only route the USB return to the main mix. Since the only thing the USB output can record is the main mix, any time you try to record something to existing tracks you'll be recording a mix of the new audio and old tracks. If this is true the unit is useless for studio recording. If it's not true the manual gives no indication that it can be used for layering tracks or how it might be done.

I'm not a knee-jerk Behringer basher, but with a manual that bad I'd be returning the thing as unusable.

I'm not clear from your post whether you have a basic 1222 with a standalone USB interface or the 1222USB which has a built in USB interface. If it's the latter, I agree with bouldersoundguy that the manual is useless in terms of detailing what the inbuilt USB interface can do.

In any case, I'd use the main output (either the inbuilt USB or analogue cables to your external interface) to get the mix into your computer. For the return feed, I'd take two analogue cables from the computer to input to a spare pair of line inputs, then use the Mon Aux to set up a monitor feed of the computer return and the new instruments when you're tracking. The Monitor Aux is pre fade so you can leave the faders down when recording or bring them up when just doing playback. Between the channel Aux sends and the master aux send section, you should have plenty of gain when setting up your mix.

Hope this makes sense.

Bob

Back