need advice on a good mixing book

jugalo180

www.moneyistherecipe.com
i know this has been brought up throughout the forum, but i'm going to reword it to fit my needs. i need advice on the best selling books on mixing. i can use some titles of mixing books that are rated really well, and not just for novice, but one that takes you from beginning to advance mixing. thanx

I found "THe Art of Mixing" by David Gibson useful, but more of a beginner type book.......

thank you

i appreciate the link, it is very informative. i'm going to do research on the book. thanks for all of the help.

Dear SPINSTERWUN.

THANK'S YOU FOR THE LINK !!!

I LOVE YOU.
I LOVE YOU..
I LOVE YOU...

Would you marrie Bruce ? :D

Dear SPINSTERWUN.

THANK'S YOU FOR THE LINK !!!

I LOVE YOU.
I LOVE YOU..
I LOVE YOU...

Would you marrie Bruce ? :D

... The mixing enginners handbook ( this is a great mixing book... best ive ever read)
... Behind the glass (this is more of production, less a mixing book... but there is alot of gret stuff here... check it out)
... preactical recording techniqies... (very good over view of everything in voled ion studios (mic techniques, acoustics, electricity, a little on mixing... ect...)

Gotta agree on the Mixing Engineer's Handbook, by Bobby Owsinski - He's also got a section in the back on 5.1 mixing, several interviews, all the "cut snare at xx, boost kazoo at yy kinda stuff all in one table, which is handy til you get it drilled into your head and don't need it as much - I bought a copy at Amazon a month or so ago, and found a bunch of stuff I'd forgotten, stuff I never knew or thought of, etc - well worth the $$$... Steve

No midfields, no opinion

Hello steve, say, does this book have an opinion regarding monitoring your mix on soffit monitors(midfields?) vs. nearfields? How about you? Sincerly.
fitz: :D

Hi Rick - I don't remember seeing much on that in the Mixing Engineer's Handbook, but he has a companion called (duh) the Mastering Engineers Handbook, I think that had some more.

I'm still learning (aren't we all) but from whan I know so far, I wouldn't be inclined to mess with mid or farfield monitoring in a room that was less than about 30 feet long, with corresponding dimensions in the other two axes. Midfield generally refers to a listening distance from speaker to ear of about 10 feet, and you NEVER want to be dead center in the room (other than side to side) plus you need at least a 20 foot path from your head and back for the shortest reflections, so 25-30 feet long dimension seems to be minimum for good midfield.

Stretch that out to 15' or so between farfield soffits and you, and the room grows to at least 40 feet long. Divide by 2.2 for one of the more popular ratios (rectangular room, anyway) and you have a ceiling of 18 feet if you want soffited farfields.

Point being, it takes some serious real estate to get a room big enough to support big speakers. On top of that, you can easily spend $50k or more on soffited speakers, so I've decided not to try that route on my beer pocketbook. I had been thinking about trying to design a facility that could also be used for serious mastering in addition to tracking/mixing/post, but have come to the conclusion that it's out of my range.

If you just want big speakers that can be loud and impress people who know nothing, you could do that and make it LOOK like a real studio to the un-informed, for about $1000.

I guess if you had the room, something like the kits Barefoot likes could be done in a control room - The area I'm still studying is that of creating different room acoustics for different purposes, and whether or not one room can be changed enough to become a different purpose. For mastering, you want a "perfect living room", so the result will translate to homes - for tracking, you want a "perfect concert hall" with adjustable RT60, for control room you want a "perfect nonentity" room that won't cause you to over do 'verb or underdo it based on too live or too dead, and so on - all this adds up to a shitload of time and money if you want the whole enchilada, which I do, but since Bill Gates hasn't officially declared me a charity yet, I'm re-thinking...

Meantime, since KRK's were invented by a traveling mix engineer who got tired of having to re-learn speakers, and then decided to start selling them by popular demand, they seem to do a good enough job, along with a sub, for what I do. I may change my mind if/when I get enough dedicated space to experiment, who knows?

There, howzat fer a non-answer?

Terrific, it was academic anyway. I would like to hear some in a REAL studio someday though. Thanks steve, as usual I trust your judgement and experience. Nice to know someone out there really knows what thier talking about.:D You are a real help. BTW, it looks like I'm not moving to Oregon afterall. To many ties here. Maybe someday:(
fitz:)

Rick, sounds like you just need to take a course on shaping your personality. If you learn how to piss people off better, you will be free to move anywhere, as long as it's "away"... Steve

Hello Steve, what did I say to piss you or someone else off? I thought I was polite and
gratefull for your answer. If I did, I certainly didn't mean to. Please quote what it was.
Maybe my way of asking questions is not in a manner that promotes friendliness. I don't understand. All I can attribute it to, is my ex-wife:D I know my present wife probably agrees with you. I will take your advice though, IF you tell me what the fuck you are talking about:D (Just kiddin with ya!) I take your advice seriously, and don't mean any harm. I try to phrase my questions to get an accurate answer, and usually try to do it with humor. Maybe my sense of humor doesn't agree with some people. Not my intention. I will try to refrain from inflammatory statements in the future. I'm still learning netiquette. In fact, I was complimenting you for helping me. What gives?
Sincerely, fitz

Hey rick, lighten up - if you read that comment carefully, you will note that I said you need to learn to piss people off better - indicating that you DON'T do that now. My joking, intended meaning was only that if you want to get away from those "ties" you mentioned, you should take a course on pissing people off so you aren't so lovable and they will let you go.

Sorry about the confusion - trust me, if you actually ever DO manage to piss me off, there will be no doubt in your mind. As intense as I sometimes get, I'm REALLY not nice not to be nice to, as the old quote from a forgotten cheap detective novel goes. I'm only vague when I'm trying to be cute - which I apparently failed to pull off this time - Hey, I still luv ya man, even if you did back out on our eventual jam... Steve :=)

Wheeeeeeeeeeew! I must have had to many fattys yesterday! Ha. :D I'm glad to hear that. I don't get it sometimes steve. Even my wife says I take things tooooooo seriously so get a grip rick! Anyway, thanks for the clarification. I needed that. And really thanks on the reply. BTW, my whole family lives within 2 miles. But its not those ties I was talking about. District attorney ties:rolleyes: Revenue reinbursement ties.
I could still move, if I decided to give up half the profit from my house.:D Not a snowballs chance in hell. But thats what I meant about academic. I got a letter the day after I posted that question about midfields. Now it doesn't make any difference, as I have no room for them. So, nearfields it is. I jumped the gun on the move. But next year, Oregon here I come, ties or no ties.
Hey, by your posts, I get the impression your a singer. And with perfect pitch no less?
Fantastic. Do you play also? I've played guitar most of my adult life. Not the greatest. Not the worst. But I know my way around. Just an old fart now though. Ha! Well, I got to get to bed. Talk to ya later steve. Thanks
fitz:)

Back