Mixing vs Mastering .... the Newbie Question

prometheuswire

When you have recorded something you usually try to match levels during mixdown, right? Why do you need to master?
Is it because you need to apply mechanisms like compression to keep the levels matched?

I have recorded at several studios but have never mastered. As a consequence my recordings never sound "professional". I know that is a relative term but I think you get what I am saying. My question is why?

Thanks
Courtney

Mastering is the final process to edit the mixdowns if they need it and assemble the songs for CD duplication. During the mastering stage you make sure that the levels of the songs make sense so that a soft ballad isn't louder than the big rockin stuff. Sometimes the mixdowns may need some final EQ or compression also. Mastering is the final quality control step.

Mixing but not mastering is kind of like washing a floor but not waxing it... sure - it's clean, but it's not as shiny as it could be....

Mastering takes a good mix and makes it great, or a poor mix and makes it tolerable....

Bob Katz describes is as taking the mix up a grade - if it's a "B" mix, mastering makes it an "A" - if it's a "D" mix, it becomes a "C"....

Also, when mixing, you won't necessarily get the volumes of all the songs proportional to eachother for many reasons, including the fact that some material on the CD may be being mixed in a different studio, or may have been mixed months or years ago.

"Mixing but not mastering is kind of like washing a floor but not waxing it... sure - it's clean, but it's not as shiny as it could be...."

Gee, that's nice. Is that your own analogy, or did you get it from Johnson and Johnson?

and the moral of the story is:

until you have cleaned your floor to its fullest, dont worry about having it waxed.....

and

it takes a whole different set of tools to wax than it does to clean....

Back