I've been thinking about paying an "online" recording studio to mix one of my songs

Well yeah, I am making an album right now and I have been hiring musicians, both royalty based and also up front based, so I know how that goes.

I'd probably do it up front based, at least for now. I just don't see the hipster songwriter types to be very....business canny :)

Same here.... If I were to offer a demo service, I would ask for an upfront fee, even if I'm supplying a new melody to the clients words. Honestly, I just don't want to get into copyright partnerships with people I don't know.

Good luck with your album.

I liked the before version on the main page...the 'pro' version sounded like a mashed wall of sound...but not a good wall of sound, more like a wall you hate, like the Berlin wall or something...the kind of wall you want to bash

Haha I liked the demo version, too. But the first song will never be accepted at the mainstream (non-college) radio stations that I want to hit. I wonder if there is a radio station out there that plays nothing but demo songs with a lot of heart in them. The closest one I could think of is http://www.wfmu.org It's a sweet college radio station that has everything you could thing of. If you're a music junkie, this site is dangerous. Vietnamese roadie music? Check. Obscure Hindi songs from the 70's? Check. The Doctor Who theme? Check. The site doesn't host a lot of demos, but it's a fun site to draw inspiration from.

For sure...a demo is a demo...and you can make it sound nicer than a rough demo if you master it and mix it and record it properly...but their example of an exemplar mastered song is a joke. It sounds like shit. It's like taking a beautiful frog from the wild, getting a bucket of high gloss green paint and painting the shit out of that frog because you think your high gloss green goo makes it look better. Well it doesn't look better. It looks like shit and now it's dead.

The Songwriter's Market guide actually talks about this, too. They recommend it for any songwriter that doesn't have a good voice or a band to play it. It's mainly because, even if you're pitching just the lyrics, labels want to hear what the song will sound like and it helps them if they want to pass it on to a big name singer or band.

Back