Headphones!!!!?????

I'd just like to thank everyone for the input on this topic. I ended going with the 7506's and couldn't be happier with my decision. They sound awesome!!! In fact I'm gonna have to spend about 2 weeks just listening to all the CD's in my collection thru them - I popped on a few of my fav albums just to try them out and there is some stuff tucked away that I just couldn't hear before...

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Cooperman (edited 03-03-2000).]

I'm lookin to get another better pair of headphones, and I think I'm gonna go with those Sonys eventually...are they tight or loose on your head? Because I need a pair that I can have my guitar amp or drum set in the room, and hear them only/mainly in the headphones, as opposed to hearing them outside the headphones. Know what I mean? I need to hear what's going through the mics.

I haven't yet tried them while tracking... I've only listened already recorded mixes through them, but they should cut out a lot of outside noise as the sit tight on your head and fully enclose your whole ear.

Hey cooperman,

Personally I would try to mix to speakers, because that's what people are going to hear you on.

I know I'm going to catch hell for this, but Radio Shack sells koss phones, with their name on it.

I have a pair of sonys, and side by side the Koss are much more efficient, and don,t sound as muddy. I think they give you a better depiction of what's going on sound wise. The Koss are also much cheaper. Good sound is where you find it!!

GT... I know I should be mixing on speakers but unless they are decent quality near-field speakers then it's not gonna make that much difference. In fact I can probably get more accurate mixes thru the headphones than thru my stereo. As I said, I can hear things buried in mixes that I simply cannot here thru speakers on my stereo. As far as the 7506's sounding muddy... they sound pretty good to me. In fact I'm having problems in that I just wanna keep turning the volume up cos everything sounds so awesome thru them... after a little while the volume is so loud I'm getting ringing in my ears after a lengthy seesion. I love these headphones!!!!

You might be comparing the Koss with some cheapo set of Sony headphones (even "I" have a set of those), but you certainly can't be talking about the 7506's....
There's simply no comparison.
Not even close.

Hey Buck62,

I have a pair of Sony MDR-v200 phones. They were about fifty dollars. I once tried a one hundred dollar pair of sonys I got from Burdines department store. I brought them home and compared them with the koss phones I got at Radio Shack. The koss phones blew them away. They were much more efficient, they also seemed to have more dynamic range, I think that comes with being more efficient. The big expeinsive sonys seemed to my ears, to have midrange suckout. I took the sonys back. I think that sometimes to get better sound you actually have to spend less money.

Hey just one thought from a musician of 35 years who has to roll up the car window when a big truck goes by or an ambulance. I've had my hearing tested a couple of times and so far no damage but they are definately sensitive and I know when I'm pounding them. I never use my Sony's without custom earplugs! If you don't believe it ask Jeff Beck, you remember him I hope, what he thinks of headphones. Maybe you are already hip as many engineers I've met are and never mix at high volumes, whether phones or monitor speakers.

Just a caution!
Rusty K

Back