Difference between Aphex 104 and 204?

nononsense!

I have an Aphex 104 with big bottom since 1997.
Now I am thinking about taking the 204 model which is already 10 years old.

What is the difference especially when it comes to the bass, the big bottom? I have seen that there is an extra Tune knob for the bass. Does it really make much difference.

I like to hear from someone who used them both for a longer time.

204 is 100 more than 104...so I assume it has a bigger bottom. ;)

HEE! :D

From Wiki:

" According to Aphex, the Model 204 updates the Aural Exciter and Big Bottom processor blocks with improved circuitry, including an optical gain-control element for the Big Bottom compressor."

Not to burst your bubble...they really aren't anything worth using for an extended period. :)

I've had a 104 in my rack for about 10 years now...and I used it maybe 2 times right after I got it, and it hasn't been powered up once since then. I would toss it on eBay, but I know it wouldn't fetch any real $$$, so I leave it in the rack just so I don't have to put one of those empty rack panels to fill the hole.

Sure...you can spin the knobs and hear it change your tones, especially the low end...but it's just not the preferred way of getting those bass tones in a mix. What is it that you are after? Why do you think you need to "upgrade" to the 204 since you already have the 104?
The 104/204 are just not something too many folks care about...they're not really sought after "tools"....sorry.

Isn't there anyone who used both of them for an extended period?
They're both about equally worthless for modern recording. Great for pancake cassette copying and old tape transfers, not too bad on a bass with a really lazy player who refuses to change his strings -- But otherwise, it generally does everything that people try to avoid using digital recording gear.

Sorry, but I find it the best equipment for bringing in the high tones to make it sound brighter. Mostly better than eq's and vitalizers and such.
When there is little bass in older recordings then it does a good job (remastering for private use). And with my own made house music it works by pumping up the bassdrum. There are millions using this equipment. How do you folks pump up the bass drum then?

Back