Cant get Behringer Xenyx1202FX To work with Saffire 14

Nick Marcel

as written i cant get my Behringer Xenyx1202FX To work with my Saffire Pro 14.
det xenyx is w/o usb, i have hooked up the 2 inputs from saffire to the 2 main out from 1202fx, and the mic in the first mic port.
i can get the mic to work so i can hear it when i select standard mic in windows.. but thats it.
i cant get it to work like that in sonar, fl studio, adobe audition or even audio record wizard..
but when i plug the mic straight to the saffire, it works. but i really wanna hook it up to my behringer, so.. what am i doing wrong?
Thanks.

Attachments

• 03072012662.jpg
    03072012662.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 30
When you plug a mic straight into the saffire, your software recognises it because you have set up a software track to receive on channel one (or whichever the mic is plugged into).

To put the behringer into the chain, you need to run the main outputs from it into a pair of LINE inputs on the saffire. Lets say 1+2.

You then plug the mic into the behringer on any channel. Say input 1.

Working backwards, the PC has to 'see' the behringer, so set your software to receive on saffire inputs 1+2.

Now the signal has to get out of the behringer and into the saffire, so make sure your behringer's 1st channel has the following.
Phantom power on (if applicable).
Channel mute turned off
Fader turned up
Gain turned up
Send to main output turned up/on.
Main output level turned up.

I don't know that specific desk, but I'd guess there should be LED meters for you to know if a signal is passing through.

All of the above aside, why would you want to put the behringer in the chain?
Maybe you have your reasons, but just so you know, it's probably not going to do the signal path a lot of good.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the answer!

Im gonna be honest and say i dont really know what to put together, but thought it would be a good thing with a mixer.
Guess i was wrong, should i just return it, and get something else instead? a compressor or something?

And i have it connected it like you said. so, what would you say would be good for my setup?
Thank you.

Personally I wouldn't use a budet mixer at all unless you need to combine/route things for playback. Monitor mixes, headphone mixes, things like that. Even then, I'd avoid it.

If it's straight up recording I'd stick with mic -> interface.
Adding anything else into the chain (At this stage) is just creating room for confusion, errors, and in my honest opinion, detracts from the freedom of digital recording.

Focus on the sound of your source and the sound of your room, and do the rest in the box, for now at least.
I never recommend outboard hardware to anyone unless they have a strong reason for going there, like familiarity with that kind of setup, or whatever.

If you're looking for somewhere to spend time and money, try to move those monitors away from the corner, and if possible, away from the wall.

Some money spent on sound absorption at the first reflection points will be money well spent for sure.
I don't know where you sit in relation to them, but raising them up looks like it might be useful too.
That's my honest opinion.

Thank you very much!
I trust you on that, so thats what i will go with, and use the returning money for some KRK KNS-8400, My current headphones sucks.

But again, thank you.

I trust you on that, so thats what i will go with, and use the returning money for some KRK KNS-8400, My current headphones sucks.

But again, thank you.

All's not lost then. I hope they serve you well.
For any future readers, I'm not down on hardware or anything like that. :p

Best of luck.

Back