Alesis masterlink

VOXVENDOR

I've read most the ads and other shit about the above...They seem to mention hundreds of little features, but doesn't really come out and answer the following question.. If I buy one, will I be able to master on a close to professional scale at home?, or am I still better off to continue paying for a pro mastering suite to do the work for me...

Yo VOXVENDER:

You live where they make the great Yorkville YSM-1 monitors. [other goodies too]

I've been researching CD recorders for about six months. Most comments about the Alesis Masterlink are good. Some say the price is too high for what you get. Another post from someone said the converters are not good enough.

A friend of mine in Canada, Reno, sent me his suggestion for a Tascam box, much cheaper than the Masterlink, and highly recommended by my friend. It's the need of your studio I'd guess. I'm tempted to go for the Masterlink but may get the less costly Tascam CDRW700. Costs less here in the Colonies; about 700 Canadian, according to VOODOO-SHAMA, my friend in Canada.

It would probably help you if you could "hear" one and "USE" one to see how it suits your learning curve.

Green Hornet

green hornet//
Thanks for the info.. i already have the cdrw700... it is great, but I don't need a dup system, im interested in if the alesis, will master for me... any thoughts on this?...
Thanks.. joe

I posted quite a bit on mastering a while back --- you should find some useful info on that thread

I have a Masterlink, and I find it to be an incredibly useful item in my room- and also for recording live-to-2 in the field. I like the ability to master, mung, crop, mix and match, and then reassemble and render *before* getting to the point of committing to a CD copy. The Masterlink's internal disk replaces the reel of 2-track tape with paper leader and good old blue splicing tape, at least in my ancient worldview.

Without question, you can probably do the same thing with plugins in 3 or 4 different software packages. Frankly, if you're used to Windows screwing with your music, this product probably isn't for you. The thing the Masterlink brings to dinosaurs like me is that it is a good, old fashioned 2-track *plus* a bunch of modern digital tweeks. I treat mine just like I did my (much lamented) old 2-track mastering deck. However, the Masterlink brings the ability to EQ, to normalize, and to generally polish things in way I would prefer not to have to do with tape: reorder song lists, screw with intros and outros, yadda yadda. Sweet. No razor blades.

Is it the only way to do this? No. You wanna do the whole deal in your preferred editing software package? Knock yourself out. I don't have time to learn how. For people like me who still think of a studio as having a multitrack tape deck over *here*, and a 2-track mastering tape deck over *there*, and no computers in the room, the Masterlink fulfills a very important function: it stripes two tracks right out of the box, allows simple editing, can offer leveling and normalization, and never (and I do mean never) experiences the Blue Screen Of Death with your project tracks. Data goes in, data comes out, everyone's happy.

If you don't like Alesis products for some reason, this box will never fulfill your needs. But it does have a very special place in my room, because I don't care who built it, and I have neither the time nor the patience to screw with software, plugins, and such dreck: I want to run 16 tracks through my board, mix to 2, stripe it, and ship it. Right freakin' *now*, with no unpleasant delays to sacrifice a live chicken to the gods of Windows to protect my data. In short: it fits fine in my Cretaceous, or perhaps Triassic, working style.

Your mileage may vary. However, speaking strictly as a fossil here, I credit the Masterlink with giving me enough momentum to get back into this art form after a decade away, and I'm not kidding. Between that and the Fostex D1624, I have a new life in recording.

Will it replace sending your product to a pro mastering suite? No. Nothing can replace the "second-set-of-ears" function that those companies provide. But it's the next best thing: used intelligently it can help you get your material into the best shape possible, and that may in fact be exactly good enough for you. It's certainly good enough for me, since nothing I contemplate producing is ever likely to see major label distribution...

Your mileage may vary. Hope that helps...

with skippy all the way.
The masterlink is a very well thought out, extremely useful piece of gear.
Nothing replaces professional mastering, its a seperate art.

My thoughts on the Masterlink....

...anybody want to buy a Tascam DA-40?? Used maybe 10 times, bought a month before the Masterlink........

(I'm kidding about selling the DAT, but my point is - since the Masterlink came in, it can be months between power-ups on the DAT unit!)

But no - I agree with Skippy and Sjoko2 - it is not a replacement for proper "mastering" any more than a TC Electronics Finalizer is!

Bruce

This sounds like THE piece of equipment, that I have always needed... With my despising the idea of bringing a computer in my studio, I love this type of hardware...Afterall, I own a studio, not a computer lab.. :) I have the exact same philosophy, about just having a console, a few effects, and a recording medium as skippy mentioned... ....My shit never crashes, and yeah, I can't cut and paste choruses and other bits, but you know what.. it pushes me to be a better musician, and play it properly, right through so I don't need that....... (Sorry, bout this ranting and raving, Skippy mentioned about not having computers in the studio, and I just had to add my 3 cents..).....The masterllink seems like a valuable piece of gear, but is useless, for me.. I need to be able to do pro mastering.... And if I can't use it for that, and have to go to a commercial mastering suite anyways, I might as well spend the money, replacing one of my Blackface ADAT's, down the road.... Thanks for your input, everyone....Much appreciated.:)

DAT for sale???.. I though they were obsolete... Doesn't everyone just put songs on there hardrives and email them around......:)

Yo Skippy:]

Simple question: How long did it take you to learn the ins/outs of the Alesis Masterlink?

I'd like to jump into that medium but would not like to get into a prolonged learning curve.

Thanks,
Green Hornet

Yup....

...I agree - it's pretty intuitive - I was using mine within 4 minutes!!! (sjoko2 has a few more years experience under his belt!) :D

Bruce
:)

Using it well took about 5 minutes- using it both well and creatively took a couple of hours. If you buy a fresh unit now, you'll get more current software than I got (mine had been sitting on a shelf for a while and was older stock), and that'll make it easier to use creatively right away. Mine is a much more ueeful machine after the upgrade, and that's amazing to me- because it waspretty outstanding even before.

It's a piece of cake to learn, and I'm glad I have mine.
It does cost money, but IMNSHO, it was worth every dime.

Yo Skippy & Bruce:

Thanks for your information. I think I'm going to go for the Alesis Masterlink with the lastest update.

If you guys could use the box in a matter of minutes, I'm pretty sure I'll get the hang of it. Besides, if I get stuck, I can always ask you good folks.

Thanks again,
Green Hornet

Forget the Masterlink. Get the Tascam. Then get a mastering processor w/ AES-EBU to go into the Tascam.
My finished CD are hot!

The only benifit I can see is the way Masterlink can put your tracks together easier.

I have had 3 Masterlinks and they were all broken right out of the box. Three's a charm? BS

Alesis better get their act together.

Nonsense... a mastering processor is NOT "mastering"...
And there is absolutely nothing wrong at all with the Masterlink (except the price, for some...)

Bruce

Well TGA - that realy does sound like total bullshit to me, I'm sorry. Masterlinks have been reliable, and have been subject to good quality control prior to being shipped

Thanks for your reply Bruce.

You must admit after three bad units, would you not have some question about Alesis?

If you have the time to reply, What equipment do you use to master?

Thanks,

TGA

I'm curious - what were the problems you had? And 3 on top of it!?!? I understand your opinion if you had problems, but I'd call it bum luck, 'cos the Masterlinks ARE reliable and robust.

As for mastering...
I try to encourage my clients to have their stuff done at a mastering place, but if a client doesn't wish to incur the extra cost, I do a fair job using my ears, and occasionally the Masterlink's on-board DSP (which includes compression, limiting, and EQ), if necessary.

The good mastering houses generally don't use a Finalizer (or some variant) - it's not the way it's done! (and if it is, it shouldn't be!!)

Bruce

Back