Song order, who decides?

gaps between the songs

the length of the gaps between songs i find pretty important ,if a song starts slowly i´ll be tempted to have a longer gap before it starts and v.v

^ Another determining factor concerning gap length is how the song before ends. A long fade out, usually will bring the next one closer and a quick cut pushes the next one back. Ymmv of coarse but I find gaps these days shrinking from under a second to right up against or slightly cross faded. Who's got time for silence? With vinyl, something around 5 seconds was considered normal.

In todays business there are many factors that determine a track order. First the executive producer creates the track list, he then takes the "rough draft as far as songs" into the A&R's office then they have a listen and he gives his input of maybe rearranging the order of the songs or maybe even dropping a song alltogether and adding a different song in it's place. Then they might take it to a focus group and see how well it goes over with the group.

Now me personally when I am putting out my artists' cd I place the tracks to where they flow from one song to the next. I have done good with it so far. But the hardest part is narrowing it down to pick the songs for the album because if we are planning on releasing a 15 track album then I like for him to record at least 25 songs to pick and choose some. And then if the songs aren't strong then I make him record more so we can choose from the best.

Back