Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mastering Plug-Ins

Thanks

Mastering Plug-Ins

Sign in to disable this ad
    So I just got done tracking and mixing a little EP for a project I've been working on with a friend.

We have been working in Logic and have a nice array of mics. We got the mix down to how we like it, put a limiter on the main stereo output track, for a tiny bit of mastering. Tweaked that up, played back, sounded great out of the monitors. Burnt it to a disc popped it in a few stereos around the house and damn, what a shock. Completely sounds like shit. I know that this is a common issue among people new to recording, especially with just such a minimal set up, and before you learn how to properly mix with your monitors.

Anyway, I am looking into mastering plug-ins, just for a little extra boost. I have been looking at Ozone, and was just curious if anyone has any opinions about it, or any recommendations as to one that you prefer.

Thanks

Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Thanks
    The plugs mean sh*t and you already know that. Monitoring and listening skills are everything. Not just at the mastering phase either... Far more important during mixing and even more important during tracking.

You're not getting good translation. There isn't a plugin that fixes that. Listening and experience fixes that.

Thanks
    I completely understand that fact. I know that the human aspect is far more important than anything a computer will do, etc etc. I am, however, going to get a mastering plug in, even if it is $225 Ozone. Im not expecting it to fix the sonic mess I have created, but I would like to have the power to boost it up to a more commercial level. Even though I'm sure some of you guys would scoff at a cheap all-in-one mastering plug in.

Thanks
    For not much more than the cost of a plug-in such as this you could get the objectivity, experience, monitoring, room, high quality analog and digital gear, quality control, etc. of a couple of the mastering engineers on this forum. There is no plug-in or easy fix that replaces all of this especially if you are having issues with translation from the studio to the outside world.

Unless this is something that you plan on offerng to clients on a future basis and wish to make that investment, it is more cost effective to seek a professional. Obviously I'm promoting our services, but it also makes good "cents".

If you just intend to make something louder with no other major improvement Ozone is as good as any other.

Best,
    Tom
    Last edited by masteringhouse; 02-12-2010 at 03:50.
    Tom Volpicelli
    The Mastering House Inc.
    www.masteringhouse.com

Selected Credits

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloMcCulloch View Post
    Burnt it to a disc popped it in a few stereos around the house and damn, what a shock. Completely sounds like shit.
    That's the most disheartening part about home recording. I think everyone has been there. The solution is to improve your a) ears b) listening environment and c) monitoring chain. A decent set of monitors + acoustically treated room + trial/error/experience get you MUCH closer to having a mix that translates. It takes time to gain experience, but you can do something about the other two things right now... If you're having trouble to get your mix to translate, I'd skip Ozone and spend that some amount of $$ on a box of OC703 some lumber and some fabric...

RAMI Guest
    You'd be much better off spending some time and money on proper monitoring/room treatment. If your mixes sound shit everywhere else you play them, then you have a problem in your listening environment.

If you thought you were shocked and disappointed when you played your mixes on other systems, you'll be just as shocked and disappointed when you finally admit to yourself that you spent $225 on a "Mastering" plug for nothing.

Thanks
    There is NO SUCH THING as a "mastering plug". All they are are packages of EQs compressors, limiters, and such, which are all common tools used in tracking and mixing just a much as in mastering. There is NOTHING special about mastering nor about the so-called "mastering plugs".

The fact is you haven't learned to translate your monitoring environment to make a good mix yet. You don't fix that by mastering, you fix that by mixing. If you think you can fix your problems at all - which you apparently do since you think you can fix it in mastering - then apply the corrections you feel you need TO THE MIX and get the mix right before you even begin to consider mastering.

MASTERING IS NOT ABOUT FIXING THE MIX.

G.
    [SIZE=1][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Glen J. Stephan,
    SouthSIDE Multimedia Productions[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=DarkGreen]RECORDING RESOURCES AND INFO SITE:[/COLOR]
    [URL="www.independentrecording.net"][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/URL][/B][/SIZE]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloMcCulloch View Post
    but I would like to have the power to boost it up to a more commercial level. Even though I'm sure some of you guys would scoff at a cheap all-in-one mastering plug in.
    I think more people would scoff at the notion that you just want to "boost" a mix that you know is shit.

I do know a lot about the monitoring environment lying to you though. I just got my room mostly sorted in the past year and a half. I can now finally make a mix that sounds the same on pretty much any decent system (laptops and computer speakers don't count). It's very nice to not have to run out to the car or to the home stereo to check a final mix. Get your room right.

Thanks
    Mastering is not about fixing the mix, but often times it is about adjusting the frequency balance of a mix to translate better as well as adjusting dynamics of mixes to fit the overall balance of an album.

It really depends on what the issues are. If the mix sounds great in your studio but bad elsewhere it seems to point to room, monitors and likely a few other tweaks that can help. As I've heard Bob Ohlsson say, most times mastering is simply making adjustments due to poor monitoring.

I don't know if there are more issues than overall adjustments in this case, but again an objective ear could help determine that and make suggestions either way.
    Tom Volpicelli
    The Mastering House Inc.
    www.masteringhouse.com

Selected Credits

Thanks
    If mastering engineers want to mix so much, why aren't they just mixing engineers? Why do they choose mastering if they want to do the job of mixing?

If a mix obviously doesn't translate at all, its has NO BUSINESS going to mastering yet. That's like sending an apple pie to the cooling tray while the crust is still raw and then letting someone finish cooking it with a hand-held butane torch.

Yes, someone with an ear and with the proper monitoring gear could definitely help...they're called mixing engineers.

G.
    [SIZE=1][B][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Glen J. Stephan,
    SouthSIDE Multimedia Productions[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=DarkGreen]RECORDING RESOURCES AND INFO SITE:[/COLOR]
    [URL="www.independentrecording.net"][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/URL][/B][/SIZE]

Thread Information