Instrumental music

Ace2000

I'm a guitarist and Im wondering what I can do with a CD full of various instrumentals. Is anyone else here a instrumentalist writer? I write vocal songs too, but lately Im working on music with lots of tempo and time changes and stuff, but will this stuff ever sell? It'll obviously never be "the hit", but is there a use fo rthis stuff anymore?

Sorry if this has already been discussed, Im new here to the BBS.

Any suggestions, encouragement and or reality checks much appreciated.

Sure Ace, there's always selling it to TV shows commercials etc..............

But keep in mind most tv people want the music to be ready to go, in other words if your music needs to be polished up then they won't want to deal with it............It has to be ready to be played and in a certain format as well........I can't remember exactly what format, but I'm sure someone else will elaborate......

Anywho, most of(or at least quite a bit of it) the music you here on TV is made in home studios.....

good luck if you try to do it.....

-nave

hey thanks, that was a very interesting article....I do believe that I can write 30 second to 1 minute pieces simliair to what i hear on tv sometimes....

But, the article doesn't tell me where to contact or who to contact to pitch a CD to? Who would I send a CD to? Any ideas?

Thanks again!

To tell you the truth Ace I couldn't really answer that question.....Howevers, I plan on trying to sell some music to TV people in the future and I've got some ideas on how I'm gonna start that I will share with you..........Actually it's just one idea

Your Local cable network if you have one........You surely can get your music on there! You might not get alot of money but It will get your music out there and give you the experience you need to be able to start pitching to larger networks....

e.g. A friend of mine owns a car dealership here where I live....He runs commercial on a couple of the local tv networks and they even play on larger networks but only people in the area see them.....I've talked to him about it and he said he'd be glad to use some of my music for his commercials! I won't make hardly a thing but I'm cool with it.....You've got to start somewhere right?

Who knows, the way I figure it, maybe you do enough local commercials and then you get a gig with the local news or something and then maybe eventually a real tv show on a big network........You've got to start small ya know......

-good luck

-nave

Im an instrumentalist too. I am also in the same position you are in. But i believe there is hope for us... Neal Schon (Journey) and Craig Chaquico (Jefferson Airplaine) Phil Keaggy, they have all put out instrumentals and still are. Yngwie Malmsteen (the God of the Guitar) put out a classical instrumental with orchestra and him only, if these can make it, we can too, hang in there dude.

many bands do instrumentals

mogwai
godspeed you black emperor!
a silver mount zion

just to name a few

ACE these guys are right too! Just cause I brought up the TV thing doesn't mean you shouldn't keep trying to get yourself out there another way.............Keep the faith.....and just remember that there's always tv if things don't work out :)

-nave

[
But, the article doesn't tell me where to contact or who to contact to pitch a CD to? Who would I send a CD to? Any ideas?

I´m recording original instrumental music as well,will try latter on to show it somewhere outside this shitty country were i live,the main desease here is called "boys-girls bands",anyway you should try names like
-I.R.S
-SHRAPPNEL
-FOOD FOR THOUGHT
etç,instrumental music is their catalog...
good luck,will keep in touch

I am in a metal band but I have also written instrumental things - the market is there but it needs to an original product - Malmsteen gained the orginality and so did Satrini, Vair, Becker etc. The problem is that the market has been flooded and still needs originality - if you want to sell albums just get a band together and get out there and gig - otherwise just get some material together, develop a good website and get to know some people.

Good luck! :)

Back