Yikes...computer died...help please

Jagular

OK, here’s what happened. I was recording last night and I was getting some snap crackle & pop on the track I was recording through my new my new Delta 1010lt (installed about a week ago). This crackling has been happening sporadically on and off. I remember reading something here about certain network adapters causing problems like this with Detla cards so disabled my Ethernet card & continue recording right? Crackle went away for awhile then came back. So I am surmising that this is not the problem. In fact I am suspecting either my AudioBuddy, Mic, or cable (guess I should have checked the cable first :rolleyes: ). So far, no problems.

Then when I am done recording I go back to enable the network card again and my machine hangs up. I reboot a couple times but can’t get it to work. Then I decide to uninstall the driver and reboot (which should detect new hardware and reinstall the driver if I’m not mistaken). This is where the fun begins. I go to reboot and I get to where the Windows drivers are loading and at a certain point my machine just reboots itself. I stepped through the drivers loading and determined that a certain driver was trying to load before the machine would reboot. The name was something like vwmxd2d.vmd or something like that. I have it written down in the car but I have to run to the dentist so I’ll check it and make sure I typed it correctly above.

I am running 98se. Any ideas? I really need to get this up and running ASAP.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

You may have to re-install Win98. Your registry is screwed up. It is your registry looking for the driver. This is so common......

John: I had the same thing happen a year or two ago when I removed drivers for a sound card. I got the "list" of drivers by looking at the drivers page in Control Panel, and then manually deleted them. Turns out one of the files was a Windows file, and the computer would not boot after I deleted it.

If I recall, I was able to reboot using either safe mode, or by using a floppy boot disk (can't remember which). Anyway, once I got booted I copied the missing file onto a floppy from a second computer running the same OS, and then transferred it to the first computer. Make sure you put it in the same directory as where you found it on the second computer. Once the file was replaced it booted fine.

I would try this before doing a complete OS reinstall.

Mike

Thanks guys!!

The actual driver name is vwm2x2d.vxd if that matters.

Mike - I hope that works. I really don't want to reinstall the OS. I was able to get into safe mode last night. I just have to go find a ps2 mouse as it won't recognize my usb mouse in safe mode. I think my wife's machine is on 98se too (I hope) so maybe this will work. Sometimes I hate computers. :mad: I will probably try to run home early and fix this problem a little later today. If it works, I'll let you know :D

Hey...how about a registry restore? Might that work?

Although I have a sinking feeling I may have disabled the registry backup in some of my "tweaking". But if not is that a possiblility?

I just have to go find a ps2 mouse as it won't recognize my usb mouse in safe mode.
Actually you could do this from the keyboard by booting from Safe Mode into DOS. You need to have some familiarity with DOS commands, but basically this is pretty simple. Just "copy A:\vwm2x2d.vxd C:\windows\????" and reboot.

You might find you need one or two more files as well. Generally the computer hangs on the first one it finds missing, but once you get past that it might hang on one or two others. The fix would be the same though.

I don't think a registry restore will work, as the problem is not really with your registry, but rather with a missing file that the registry is looking for. Restoring the registry will probably simply result in the same problem, as the driver file will still be missing.

Try the above method. Particularly if your wife is running the same OS. Should be a piece of cake, and hopefully it will work.

Again, make sure you get the file into the right directory.

Thanks again Mike. My wife has 98 not 98se :(. I searched her HD and that driver file doesn't even exist on her machine :(

Things have gotten worse. I turned on the puter tonight and it started booting up. I hit the power button when it was trying to boot up and it shut off (makes sense) but know it won't even power up again. I think I may start looking for a local computer repair shop. I can ususally, painfully work my way through this kind of stuff but every time I touch the damn thing it seems to get worse. Might need to call in the cavalry. :(

Jagular...sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. I had to replace a file when I ran 98SE, and I did a search on the web to find it. Downloaded it, and used system file checker to replace it. It sounds as if you're having a hell of a time even booting into Windows.
If you can get into safe mode again, try running the file checker, write down all the files it says are missing, then when you have collected them off the web, run it again, replacing the missing files when prompted. I think it's in Start>programs>accessories
>system tools, if I'm not mistaken. Also, try this:

http://www.windrivers.com/

http://www.driverzone.com/

http://www.driverguide.com/

Maybe they have what you're looking for. I hope you get up and running soon...I just had to re-install my OS this morning.

Thanks man. I really appreciate it. I gave up and took it into CompUsa this morning. Since it won't even turn on I think I may have fried the power supply. I might think about getting a barebones system somewhere down the line since I already have all the video, audio & midi cards I will want for a few years, but hopefully I can keep this patched together for a little while longer.

Thanks again everyone. I'll update this when I found out what the issue was in case anyone is interested.

Back