Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Windows 10 update and weird things afterwards

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    It seems to me that Microsoft causes some weird things to happen of late with their updates. It also seems to me that even if you turn off the updates, Microsoft sometimes gets in its "dictator mode," and the updates come in, come heck or high water. Their last update goofed up Outlook so that I cannot open email messages from SEVERAL companies whose messages I need, and the same failure occurs on both of my Windows desktop PCs. A Microsoft technician reinstalled Outlook on one of my machines with no resolution to the problem. He said that the Windows operating system would have to be reinstalled; but WAIT! If I have the same Outlook issue on both desktops, I find it hard to believe that the problem is a corrupted operating system corrupted in the same way on both desktops. I feel sorry for folk working on their music who suddenly find that a Microsoft update which came without their permission broke something or some things which they need. My Windows laptop with Windows 10 has a Presonas audio interface, and I have not checked it lately to see whether it still works. I am about to the point where I wonder whether Windows 10 has gotten so darned complicated that Microsoft might not know how to solve an increasing number of issues on computers running Windows. As a totally-blind musician, I have gotten along pretty well with Windows through several versions, and I am not "chomping at the bit" to go to Lenux, though I know of one or two other blind folk who use that system; but I am rather unhappy that nobody has so far been able to solve the problem on my Outlook (the latest version). I wonder whether there is a bug in the latest version of Outlook or in its interaction with Windows 10's latest update.

Thanks
    I stopped recording, went and did food and when I went back, the computer had reloaded the Windows generic driver again. Maybe this is something else, but nothing has changed just repeated replacement of a working driver because it's old! Wasted two hours getting everything back to normal. Infuriating.

Thanks
    For me, I just went Mac. At least for my computing needs.
    Iíve been pc since W98, but stoped at W7. Thatís the last decent operating system in my opinion. Ive heard too many W10 horror stories from forums and real life friends.
    My music computers are still on 7 and everything works just fine. But in all fairness, they never go online.

Day to day computer use is all Mac for me now. Haha. Never thought Iíd see the day.

Itís funny, the general consensus amongst my Mac friends and associates is ďwhat took you so long?Ē
    I feel like I joined a cult

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hautbois16 View Post
    I feel sorry for folk working on their music who suddenly find that a Microsoft update which came without their permission broke something or some things which they need.
    This is one of the reasons I recommend that your main recording device be air gapped (disconnected from the network). As long as the device is networked, the maintainers of any software on it have the ability (and the responsibility) to update it periodically, and you can never be entirely sure those updates won't break anything. Plus who know what other kind of bad stuff can happen when your computer has ports open to be affected by the internet at large.

Mac isn't free from such shenanigans either. There is the horror story of the woman who found that iTunes had "helpfully" backed up all the songs she wrote to the cloud and deleted the local copies. Of course they could only be downloaded again in the lossy aac format.

Thanks
    Indeed - my Mac dumped iTunes totally and replaced it with Apple Music - which is fine, BUT - I have a paid for duplicate checker which I use frequently and that is iTunes specific and cannot read the music library. Wiping it out overnight.

The latest Windows update also seems to have set Cubase to grab and hold the audio driver making it unavailable to other programmes - Sound forge and others. They lived happily with each other before!

Thread Information