Using a minidisc to record live audio?

thefuzzbucket

My very amateur band gets together once every few weeks to jam and we would love to record ourselves. I was told to look into a minidisc recorder. I know that it is in my price range but is it worth it? My pathetic budget is $ 200 CDN.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanking you in advance,

The Fuzzbucket.

thefuzzbucket said:
My very amateur band gets together once every few weeks to jam and we would love to record ourselves. I was told to look into a minidisc recorder. I know that it is in my price range but is it worth it? My pathetic budget is $ 200 CDN.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanking you in advance,

The Fuzzbucket.

Whats the point if you have a computer to record on? Minidiscs are really useless when you have a beast like a DAW.

If you're not too picky about the quality and really just want to capture the performance it would work fine. Minidisc uses a lossy data compression scheme that really isn't ideal for critical audio recording. But if you're just looking to make something you can share with friends and family, it'll be fine. You'll probably want a little mixer and some cheap mics too. I hear these guys make pretty good copies of Shure SM57/58's: http://stores.ebay.com/www-SpeakerR...nds_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ4QQftidZ2QQtZkm
I got a three pack of the ES57's on the way, can't wait to see if they live up to the hype.

thefuzzbucket said:

Hey Fuzzbucket, check your PM, I may have a solution for you.

A minidisk will give reasonable quality recording. You should note the caveats that others have mentioned, i.e. that the quality specifications are not as high as those of other recorders.

How are you going to get stuff into the minidisk? Some have built in mikes (and I saw a neat one that came with a little stereo mike assembly), but these are generally of average quality.

If average quality is all you are interested in, then fine. You may be able to do it even more cheaply by getting a budget cassette player with a built in mike. This could do the job if you are just after an indication of performance; you can easily tell if someone's out of tune, or the phrasing is loose, or whatever. But that's about all.

If you want something that you could use more broadly (e.g. to burn to a CD for a demo), you can get away with a minidisk recording, but you would need to pay attention to the front end. Someone else mentioned a little mixer, which is very sound advice.

Has no-one here heard of Hi-MD? - the latest format of minidisc that came out a couple of years ago?

Very affordable and can record UNCOMPRESSED PCM 16Bit 44.1kHz. Probably ok for band recordings without the artifact whistling of standard MD or MP3. Like a DAT recorder, just more convenient. Each 1Gb disc holds 1hr35mins of uncompressed stereo.

I use a Sony NH900 for outdoor recording, using it in PCM (uncompressed) mode. Great little unit.

Failing that, there are some solid-state recorders out there that record wav - but might be more expensive.

Not as bad as others say

If your budget is under $200, minidisc could be a good option for you. I've used MD for field recording, sampling, live recordings, etc. I even recorded the Space Shuttle launch back in 2001 and it sounded amazing.

I wouldn't say quality has really been an issue. I'm surrouded by audiophiles who are impressed with the quality as well.

With that said, I highly recommend a decent mic!!!

For a good entry-level stereo mic, check out the Sony ECM-MS907.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist&sku=150434

Back